Prologue

3rd person - EDITED 08/08/24

Maggie Romero was in trouble.

She hasn't studied in weeks and her exams were starting in less than a few months, oh well, she felt like she had plenty of time to start.

Yet, instead of doing anything, she tries to distract herself, by pushing her worries down searching online in the dark of her bedroom on her bed, for more theories on Archie Waters. The most interesting that's happened in Millwood for a long time.

It started with the rumours, that's all it took to gain Maggie's interest

"Did you hear that his mask was made of skin?"

"Didn't his mom go crazy or something..." 

"Did you hear that some random girls that go to 𝙤𝙪𝙧 school, were going to be the victims?" 

Ever since Maggie had heard the rumours about Archie and the mystery girls, she became fascinated with them. Who were they? Why those girls? Why this crappy town?

But, of course she was particularly focused on the 'Final Girls' of Millwood.

Did she know who they were? No... of course not. No one but the girls knew.

"Maggie!"

Maggie quickly takes off her headphones and calls back "What?!"

"Do you want anything to eat ye-- wait have you been studying?" She calls up as Maggie hears the sound of her footsteps quickly climbing up the stairs.

Maggie quickly reaches for a nearby school book and quietly slams her computer shut and scrambles to turn on her lamp nearby. Trying to look at least somewhat believable

Her mom quickly knocks and opens her door.

"What are you studying?" She says as she leans against the door frame, leaning forward trying to read the title of the book. 

"Maggie... Why is your book upside down?"

Maggie's face drops slightly but she quickly turns the book back properly "Oh well I thought it would... help me focus on remembering...You know?"

"Okay then." She reaches for the book and holds it upright and close to her chest away from Maggie. "What does this page say? Summarise it for me."

"It says..." She puts her hand on her neck, trying to seem like she knew, but, she realises that she has absolutely no idea. "...Words?..."

"Study. Now." She gently tosses the book onto the bed and reaches for the laptop.

"Mom! I'm using it for past papers!"

"Fine but when I come up you should be able to tell me all about--" She quickly leans to check the cover of the book"...Harry Potter? Maggie Mikey Romero your mother and I talked to you about this..."

"I was taking a break! I promise, I've been studying mostly with Minnie, you know I focus more when I'm with other people mom"

"Then why not study with Ash?" 

"He's just so... serious? He's just so serious with it, he doesn't make it interesting"

"Maggie. These exams are important, it's not about having fun, now I know your trying and that's all we can ask for, but I just don't want you to waste your time, when you could be studying" She gently puts her hand on Maggie's shoulder and kisses her forehead 

Maggie's face drops. She'd always tried to focus on her work but with having to balance so much; Her friends, eating, sleeping, school work and revision. She barely feels like she can have any time for herself.

"I'll revise now mom." Maggie kisses her cheek

"Okay, you know that me and your momma can help if you need us." Her face becomes more relaxed and playful as she walks back to the doorway.

"I know... Love you mom"

"I love you too Magpie"

She slowly walks away and carefully closes the door.

Maggie quietly waits until she hears her mom's footsteps reach the bottom of the stairs and opens her laptop and opens her messages.

🧀🚢 Mickey Mouse fun house 🌈🐭

(Last online) Now - 28/5/2024

Hey Minnie Mouse! I'm bored.

Hey Mickey Mouse! Study then. 

🚫NO ABSOLUTELY NOT NO🚫

YES

BUT THATS WHY IM BOREDDDDDD

TOO BAD

:( You're mean

I know :)

STUDY

And are you playing Minecraft tomorrow? We need more coal for the furnace AND WHEN ARE YOU GONNA SHOW ME THAT DND THING YOU WERE TALKING ABOUT???? :)          (Read)

Maggie sighs and stares at the message. "Well she didn't say what to study..." She said outload to no-one in particular.

She opens Spooky-Spaghetti. 

"Why do they not change that name... It is so ridiculous..." She mutters as she refreshes the tab, scanning for any sort of update.

She knows what she's hoping to find. 

She wants to find the girls on everybody's mind and figure out what all the fuss is about and what she can do about it...

HI I know this was a pretty short chapter but I just wanted to write a bit about her character. Feel free to comment! And I hope you have a great rest of your day! :)

780 Words