Deep Breath In, Deep Breath Out

My head spun and I dizzily clutched the ground, somewhat scared to be this close to Zuna. Truly Lord, you have been working in this little child's heart. Truly, you have a close bond with her and have revealed to us what has happened to Kylo. But Lord, please give me a sign or something that this is from You and not from the enemy! I glanced around hopefully, searching for something; anything; but my eyes landed on Zuna.

"Fae." I gasped as I saw the word tumble out of Zuna's mouth. I crept forward. "Zuna? Do that again?" But Zuna's eyebrows only furrowed in confusion as they had so many other times. Immanuel, I take Zuna's voice as a sign from you, for she only speaks when you are here with her.

Jolting from the sort of trance I had pushed myself into, I ran to Leah's tent, shouting at the top of my lungs as I entered. "Leah! Leah! It's Kylo! He's been captured by the Fallen Stars!" Rubbing her eyes, Leah sat up in bed.

"Fae? What are you doing in here?" she asked hurriedly. After I caught my breath, I repeated to her what Zuna had 'seen.' When I told her of the sign, she sat a little straighter and glared right past me. I turned to see Nix, Zuna and Ethan in the door of the tent. All looked tired, although while the others had run to the tent barefoot, Ethan had on boots that were caked with mud.

With a protective arm around Zuna, Nix asked, "What is wrong? Are we in any danger?"

"We are always in danger, Nix," Leah said grumpily. "Always in danger until the end. But no, no one is in danger . . ." I interrupted her, fuming at her neglect to rescue Kylo.

"But Leah! I just told you that Ky . . ." Leah held up a finger.

"Fae. Even if there is anyone in danger, there is nothing we can do about it now. To bed, all of you!"

***

I was still angry when I woke up the next morning. I prayed, but my prayer turned out to just be me fuming against Leah still. As I took a long drink, I began to cool down and realize what would happen to our general group if we went off every Tom, Dick, and Harry who was captured.

"But Kylo isn't a Tom, a Dick, or even a Harry. He's a Kylo!" I moaned, rubbing my forehead as my free arm rolled up my sleeping bag for the hundredth time. It was then that I noticed that Leah had sullenly walked into the camp. Her eyes were red, but her face was redder. Soon we had all gathered around her. So many cries of worry echoed and faded, my ears hurt. Why does Leah look so frustrated?

Then Leah spoke; or rather, yelled, "Please be quiet everyone!" I snapped my mouth shut, though it had been already. Leah had never raised her voice this much. Oh, she is frustrated alright. "Members of the Guard! I ask you to be quiet!" Silence. Leah sighed loudly. "We have lost a member of the Adrielan's Guard." Mutters and whispers fluttered in the breeze. We all looked at Leah expectantly. "While scouting, Jason . . . was . . he was . . ."

Suddenly, without warning, Leah collapsed her body shaking with sobs. Everyone rushed to her at once, though I didn't. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to Nix's face.

"We have been expecting too much of her, Fae. After all she is human like us. She can only take so much. May Adonai give her the peace and strength she needs so much," Nix said softly.

For once I agreed with Nix. Leah had been receiving a lot of pressure.

After Ethan assured us that Leah was safely in her tent, he told us what had happened. I could tell he was just as angry as Leah had been - Jason had been his best friend up until now. "Fellow Members! It is true, as Leah stated we have lost a member of our Guard. I personally do not know him, but he was very close to Leah. He was sent ahead to scout out the path that runs between Jalea and the Gripple Sands." Ethan lowered his head as he continued. Poor guy! Wait . . . is that guilt on his face??