71. Mourning

A/N: Very angsty with little answers, but I promise in the next chapters we get tons of answers and revenge! I'm posting another chapter on Friday too

A/N: Very angsty with little answers, but I promise in the next chapters we get tons of answers and revenge! I'm posting another chapter on Friday too. I'm trying to get through the heavy parts quickly and we will be ending season 3 next week! I do have season 4's beginning chapters already written but let's see if I still need a week or two to structure the events. I'll let you guys know next week. 

[x]

The soft crackling of fire by the chimney, the howling of winter winds outside your window, and the rustling of fabric against fabric. It's all noise that you keenly hear in your sleep and keeps you in a lulled state.

But it's the light hitting at a certain angle and bleeding from the windows that stirs you awake. You take in a big inhale of oxygen and exhale it as your eyes flutter open. The blank white of the ceiling greets you, and it reminds you of that night when you mistaken the quiet for peace.

Adrenaline shoots through your veins. Your eyes bypass their groggy state as you scramble to a sitting position. The children?! Though dizzy, you whip your head around in search of clues for their wellbeing.

You discover Tobirama seated by your bed. Awake, tired, but stoic. He knows the source of your panic and dispels it. "The children are well."

"T-They are?!" Your voice is hoarse, stinging with every word said.

"Madara found them safe at the manor with Hiruzen and Hisa." His comment is said gently as he leans forward. "It seems that although Hiruzen was drugged, he was able to send word to the rest of my team and Hisa for backup. They apprehended the other assailant that followed them at the Uchiha manor."

You gulp down a choked sob at the great news. "Thank goodness."

"Lady Kyoko was unaware of it all, but Akito did notice that they were being followed. He led the horse towards a different route to buy them time. When they arrived at the manor, Hisa was already waiting there as was my team. You all... did a great job to avert the crisis."

Avert? No, you didn't avert it. You caused it and had to undo your mistakes, just like always.

Tobirama reaches out to grab your hand, softening your angered stare. "Currently, Izuna and Madara are with Lady Kyoko, but the three of them want to visit you when you are better. To thank you."

"Thank me?" you bitterly chuckle. "I can't imagine Madara saying anything of the sort. In fact, he might just berate me for bringing Kyoko into danger."

Tobirama shifts in his chair. He's unnerved. "Madara... seems tamed by the ordeal. His anger has subsided substantially."

"How so?"

"He always had Izuna be his liaison between our houses. Yet he personally visited this morning and had no qualms making conversation with any of us," Tobirama relays in a slow fashion as if he too is dubious of his experience.