A NEW OUTLOOK

When Joey finishes his confession to The Professor - Professor lays a whole new knowledge on him.

As I get up to shake his hand, he notices the copy of The Prophet he gave me. I've been absent-mindedly fiddling around with it, while we've been rapping.
"How's that going for you? You've been able to dig what it's laying down?"
I'm embarrassed again, but ashamed to admit it. I go on to explain that I've been really frustrated by all this spiritual stuff.
"I don't know, maybe I'm just, like, spiritually dense, or something...I mean, I'm just not getting it, it's not getting through. Like it's too flowery, too mysterious. I let out a deep sigh. I need something I can, like, apply – to everyday life, you know? Make a breakthrough...philosophy of some type of action. Something I can change with..."
Professor looks at me for a few seconds like he's sizing me up. Then, he turns around in his swivel chair, and starts fishing around behind him.
"I think I have something here that may be of some interest to you, youngblood."
He pulls out a paperback book and hands it to me. The Autobiography of Malcolm X.
"You ever hear of Malcolm X?"
"I – I've heard of him, but -" I stammer.
"Courageous brother, a man of the highest honor and integrity. Pulled himself up from extremely humble beginnings to become one of the great leaders of the Black Revolutionary movement of the 60s. Then shot down by The Man for his beliefs."
"Wow."
"This is a powerful book, son. This is one of those books that inspire, that could change your life."
He goes on to talk more about this Malcolm X, and the animation, the passion in his voice, grows with each passing minute.
I sit there fascinated. Spellbound.
After he's finished "schoolin me," I bounce back onto the store floor. Now fired up and enthusiastic, I purchase myself a happenin' pair of matching purple Swedish knits, and shirt