Chapter Three

The streets were chaotic.

People ran over each other, trying to get out, to get away. The ground was covered in the gore of those who had stood in the way of the army's advance. Any hope of resistance had faded, as dozens of skeleton warriors charged through the city, cutting down anyone who hadn't run. But the way they snaked through the streets–the way they raided the houses, tossing over tables and trashing dressers–they were looking for something. For someone .

Kai gripped his katana harder as the flames grew closer and closer, the shadows of the Skulkin army creeping towards their house as they slowly tore through the village.

"Any day now, sis," he hissed towards the back, his voice barely above a whisper. Forget the forge, forget their careful preparations. They had to get the essentials and get out as soon as possible.

She carefully, in a low crouch, crept out from behind the curtain separating the back from the forge. Her cheeks were flushed, and her forehead sweaty from the surrounding fires. Kai hadn't been affected by the heat in the slightest, but that was probably due to his hidden elemental power. His sister dragged along two backpacks packed with as much as could fit inside them. The zippers looked like they were about to snap. She scurried over to the doorway, where Kai was watching the silhouettes of the army continue to creep closer. Along with the backpack, she handed him a damp rag. She held her own over her mouth, and looked out at the town, the deep orange of the fires reflecting in her dark, swollen eyes. She'd been crying.

Gulping down his fear, his regret, Kai pushed himself up to his feet. After one more deep breath, he, cautiously, sheathed his blade and put the rag over his mouth and nose. He knew he could survive fire, but the contamination in the air–he didn't think this was the appropriate time to experiment with that. Grasping his sister's hand, he took a step forward, away from his childhood home. A hole opened in his stomach, but he ignored it. There was no time to look back. No time to second guess. He and Nya could still get out of this. They could still–

Too late.

Kai yelped as something heavy dropped on top of him. He let go of Nya's hand so he didn't drag her down too. He still gripped that useless rag as he struggled on the ground, trying to push himself to his feet, and throw off whoever stood on top of him. A maniacal laugh rang out above him as he struggled helplessly.

Straining his neck, Kai turned as much as he could to see the shadowy figure above him. The first thing he noticed were the penetrating, glowing red eyes that stared down at him in amusement. Then he saw the skeletal outline of the four-armed figure. Four hideous, curved, bone daggers were gripped tightly in its hands.

It was an odd thing to say a skeleton could grin. Bones without muscles and skin would always carry the same ominous expression. But the way the demon's eyes gleamed–it was like a predator that had just caught its prey. Kai's chest tightened as fear clawed away at his insides. Never had he felt this helpless. Never had he felt this weak.

"Now where are you two trying to go?" the skeleton said, his scratchy voice almost like nails on a chalkboard.

Desperately, he turned back to his sister. "Nya. Ru–!"

He should've known she would never listen. Reaching into her bag, she pulled out a heavy skillet. How that had fit in the bag–he had no idea. She started swinging the pan around wildly, as if warding off a ghost. It never made contact; never even came close to their enemy. But it did distract him.

Kai was finally able to get his arms under his body. His arms always seemed to be in a constant state of soreness from the forge. It was something he'd grown to live with. But every muscle in them cried out as he pushed up, gritting his teeth. The thing was way too heavy to be a normal human skeleton. But it worked, though–sort of.