The second topic (lust - desires)

* Note: Hello everyone, I would like to point out that this topic will be divided into several chapters, which will be published sequentially.

The reason for choosing this topic is what we demonstrate in this age of blindly following desires and not thinking properly about its dangers and harms and the doctrinal and religious problems it causes and family disintegration, especially in the desires of the body, tongue, and stomach. I will mention its scientific definition and contradictory opinions about it.  Its causes relate to the various sects and groups, and I will put a leader and arguments on each point.

[Chapter One: - Lust in general]

* First: - Desire scientifically: -

          Lust or craving is a psychological force that leads to an intense desire for something or a feeling-satisfying circumstance, when the person already possesses another important thing or a quantity of something desired.  Lust has various forms such as sexual desire, love, money, and power.  It may come in normal forms, such as food cravings (see gluttony), which is different from the need for food.

           We can say that it is an excessive desire beyond the normal limit and attachment to a specific thing or habit.

* Second: - Philosophically lust: -

           Desire (lust) is known in philosophy as the emotional orientation and movement towards the need for a specific thing or a reality that a person considers a potential source of satisfaction. It is also known as the emotional tendency. For example, when a person wants to drink tea, it is natural for him to make tea for himself, even if he does not...  As he does this, he will continue to have the idea of wanting tea, and he will find the lack of tea a very uncomfortable thought until he makes it.

There are many philosophical theories on the subject of lust, including:

     1) The theory of desire based on pleasure: Many philosophers disagreed about the theory of desire based on actions, because it does not distinguish between judgments of goodness and desire for something. The desire for goodness with the aim of pleasure and goodness together is the key to this difference and distinction, and the person who is moved by desire always enjoys the thing that  He desires it, and does it with passion and satisfaction, quite the opposite of a person who moves only for the sake of goodness and does not feel those feelings.  What is meant by this theory is “sexual desire” specifically among the types of desires.

      2) The theory of desire based on good judgment: Some philosophers separate desire from the need to do good and its provisions, but Socrates in his philosophy believes that desire for something is simply his belief that it is good.

        At this point, Socrates pointed out the difference between the desire for lust and the need for lust, and he explained them as follows:

* Desire: It is a person’s feeling that he lacks something. It is usually described as a pleasant feeling or expectation. It is not necessary for this feeling to turn into behavior. It is represented by things whose lack or obtaining does not affect life, but they grow within the person, forcing him to try to achieve them.  It gives a feeling of sadness due to its lack.

* Need: These are things whose absence causes a feeling of insufficiency, as the mind has decided that their existence is necessary, and this feeling is always transformed into behavior or a form of action. Need is also considered one of the necessary things for survival, and it is obligatory for living or for a feeling of well-being.  Money and power.

      3) The theory of desire based on interest: This theory was proposed by the philosopher T. M. Scanlon, and this theory centers on the fact that desire is related to reasons rather than goodness and goodness in the sense of “directed attention.”