Five

"So I look up at the stars to guide me and throw caution to every warning sign, If knowing what it could  be is what drives  me, then let me be the first to stand in line."
Ariana DeBose/WISH
—————————
(The Wish)

%.

"What else does it say?" Eamon asked with a languid smile dripping from his face.

"Other than the daily logs and detailed account of daily activities—"

"Those are the same thing."

"Hush, I'm trying to be a pro here." Eamon suppressed a sigh, rolling his eyes almost to the back of his head.

"There are Maps (more like trails or guides, pick one) and sketches," Hafsa continued, "Weather reports from day one to day... I think he forgot to keep up with his dates from this day..." she trailed flipping earnestly, "164. There are Scientific observations, personal reflections, challenges, and solutions. All of which we've covered."

At some point in their skims through the old journal, the two had crouched to slump their backs on a wooden wall; both sitting facing each other.

"There was no mention of any encounters or interactions. So, it's a cue to say that Reynold spent his entire time here alone." "Though he did mention that he felt watched the whole time. What are the odds, he sounded almost too certain?" Hafsa said mostly to herself.

Eamon shuffled forward, enough to have his knees touching Hafsa's, "Right? I mean, it's just an observation... nothing more or less, but—" his voice, despondent. "What if— I guess what I'm trying to say is: do you think it's true? Do you think we're being watched right now?"

Hafsa stares him up and down, before chuckling dishearteningly.

"What, I'm being serious here, Reynold clearly couldn't have been mistaken throughout his time here." He defended.

"You're right, but it's also cliché to think we are the center of attention for some spirits who clearly don't give a shit about two inquisitive teenagers."

Eamon opened his mouth to say something else but decided against it. Before just settling with "So, what now?"

Hafsa jerks to her feet. "Nothing substantial." She points out the window, "Night is falling on us, Let's head back. We'll be back next Sunday to do more digging." She looked down at her phone awaiting the illumination as she pressed the power button, but it wouldn't respond. The battery must have run out at some point, but that would be strange because she charged it full to the brim before they left home earlier, she didn't remember using it so much.

Eamon's had strangely become immune to responding too.

"Let's just go." Eamon dancing on his feet. Not enthusiastically, though.

The two would find their ways out of the Grove in no time— they would use the aid of the sun, it was now cast off to the west, opposite in place of where it was on their way in; they'd stashed their bikes in a well-hidden area where they couldn't get stolen— if the door hadn't suddenly possessed a mind of its own as soon as they raised a foot to leave.

The door slammed with much more force than the wind could control, raising goosebumps in both skins. Their eyes had never been wider than they were right now.

"Holy poopy MAMA!"

'Updated—03-06-24

I know we're only three days in, but tell me,
How's Jolly June been treating you so far??'