𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑂𝑛𝑒

Hey hey, this is my first story, so I warn you that it might not be perfect. I'm writing it for fun and to share my idea. I'm open to any criticism, so don't be afraid to write!

.•'¨'°÷•..× ×,.•'¨'°÷•.

It seemed like a typical late evening at the Bridal Veil Inn. The bored bartender, in between cleaning tables and the bar, served beer to the few tourists who had visited the local Nantahala National Forest to see the famous waterfall and now wanted to unwind. Through the cigarette smoke hovering in the air, exhaled by a few regulars, it was hard to see the wooden walls of the building, let alone recognize any new, unfamiliar faces.

However, the woman now entering through the old, creaky door always tried to stay alert, her profession required it. She scanned the clientele and her gaze settled on someone completely new, who, to her dismay, was sitting in her favorite spot. Without showing any sign of disapproval, she bypassed the man and sat near the stool where she usually spent her evenings at the bar. She leaned against the counter, letting her long red hair fall like a curtain to shield her from the stranger sitting next to her.

The bartender, noticing her presence, smiled slightly and walked slowly towards her.

- The usual, chica?

The young woman sent him a grateful smile and extended her hand over the counter.

- Exactly, thank you.

As soon as the bartender walked away, her gaze landed on the stranger. He definitely looked like a first-timer here, not like a tourist though. He was playing with a wide glass, next to which stood a three-quarters empty bottle of some second-rate whisky. She noticed the man smiling to himself.

- Leon Kennedy. And who might you be? - He turned to her and extended his hand towards her, somehow noticing that she was watching him.

She raised an eyebrow in surprise, knowing there was no point in hiding, she adjusted herself in the chair, turning her face towards the man. His blue eyes were watching her closely. She couldn't quite gauge his age, but he was definitely over thirty, although he probably wasn't yet forty. She cleared her throat softly.

- Isa. Isa Connelly. - She replied, deciding to shake his hand since he had already introduced himself.

He lowered his gaze with a smile and shook her hand. He was much taller than her. His skin was pale and slightly dirty, as if he had previously wiped his face with a dirty or dusty hand. Under his eyes, dark circles were noticeable, probably due to lack of sleep. He reached behind the bar with his hand, pulling out another glass. First, he poured brown liquid into his own vessel and then into the new one, effortlessly pushing it towards Isa without spilling a drop. He took out a crumpled pack of cigarettes from his armpit and pulled one out. He lit it up and took a deep drag. Tilting his head to the side and releasing smoke from his mouth, he looked at Isa.

- Nice to meet you.

He fell silent for a moment.

- Beautiful name. Uncommon.

The woman pursed her lips, slightly embarrassed and disgusted at the same time. She didn't want to deal with some drunk guy.

- Thanks. Yours is cool too.

She smiled crookedly and glanced distrustfully at the alcohol poured by Leon, deciding not to indulge.

- And who are you exactly? - She asked, raising her gaze back to the man.

- Is "Cool" all I get? - Leon looked at her, ignoring her question, disappointment echoing in his voice, and his eyebrows raised judgmentally.

He released another puff of smoke from his mouth and, without bothering with good manners, took a swig of vodka straight from the bottle. Leaning towards the bar, he glanced at Isa out of the corner of his eye.