𝐶ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑆𝑖𝑥

A night filled with nightmares and hangover-induced headache was one of the worst combinations Isa could experience when waking up for work. Dragging her feet, she made her way to the bathroom and, leaning heavily on the sink, looked in the mirror. Her makeup from the previous day had smudged, making the circles under her eyes even more pronounced. She muttered under her breath and turned on the cold water, submerging her face in it after a moment. She had no energy for elaborate morning beauty rituals; she used soap and a rough towel.

When she straightened up and looked in the mirror again, she noticed a bruised spot on her skin at the base of her neck above her collarbone. Memories of the previous night flooded back with doubled intensity. Leon's blue eyes, the touch of his naked body, the firmness of his chest, and those sighs he let out... She immediately grabbed her head, feeling a pang of pain, realizing that besides the physical hangover, she also had a moral one.

Cursing her stupidity under her breath, she went to get dressed, making sure the black turtleneck covered her neck. Just in case, she left her hair down to cover the upper part of her body with its cascade, adding a sense of security and confidence. Fastening her holster, she headed for the door, not forgetting to take her purse.

Sitting behind the wheel, she began rehearsing in her head what she intended to say to Leon when she saw him.

"Listen, Leon, what happened yesterday was a mistake. N-no, I enjoyed it, but..."

No, that couldn't be how it sounded.

"Leon, I regret what happened yesterday..."

That sounded like he had hurt her. But it was quite the opposite.

She sighed heavily, glancing in the rearview mirror as she drove out of the parking lot.

"Leon. What happened yesterday was inappropriate. We overindulged in alcohol, which jeopardized our professional relationship. Let's forget about it, shake hands, and let things be as they were before."

That sounded much better, but probably a bit too formal.

She swore fiercely as she pressed the gas pedal. She decided that once she saw him, she'd just go with the flow and say whatever came to mind. Of course, that was assuming she'd even be able to speak to him.

She pulled up to the station and with trembling hands, removed the key from the ignition of her Jeep. She noticed that his car was already there, meaning either he drove home drunk last night or picked it up from the club's parking lot this morning. The gloomy atmosphere created by the overcast sky did nothing to boost her spirits.

She walked inside with determined steps, ignoring the greetings from other officers and the woman at reception. She moved forward, resolute about what she had to say. She had to confront him, and it was best to do it immediately, without any unnecessary fuss and, above all, without fear.

First, she headed to the common room where Leon usually drank his coffee, but she found only two officers chatting over tea. Next, she went to the office assigned to Leon. It was locked. She knocked softly, her heart pounding in her chest. When there was no response, she slightly opened the door and peeked inside. Empty.

In that case, he could be in one of two other places: with the chief or in her office. She decided to check her office first, though this led her thoughts down a different path. Why would he be waiting in her office early in the morning after they had sex, unless he had some expectations of her, or worse, problems? She slipped around the corner, seeing that her office door was open and the light was on inside. Her heart jumped to her throat as she burst in.

Leon looked up at her with a tired gaze. He was sitting on a chair in front of her desk, reading the local newspaper. He took a sip of coffee. He was wearing black pants, a shirt of the same color, and a leather jacket with white stripes on the sleeves.