Chapter 2: Christmas Gift

November 2013

Thanx to TRAI (Telecom Regulatory Authority of India) the SMS era was over. But as they say: End of an era gives birth to a new one and the new era was the Whats-App, Hike, Viber and blah blah blah apps era.

If you are a 90s kid, you know how important SMS was, before orkut, Facebook, insta and blah blah, SMS was the only way for us to stay connected. Life changing decisions were taken via SMS, love stories were built via SMS, Ruthna, manana, pyar mohobbat, Everything was done via SMS. Likewise whats app also has its hand in doing the same, like it did mine. If it wasn't for that stupid whatsapp's forwarded msg, I wouldn't have ever messaged Diya again.

Metro life is like METROs! Superfast!! Before you can blink an eye you realize that the calendar has changed its picture. It was 3 months I have been here and it hardly felt like 3 weeks. But the most ironical thing was in these 3 months was; I never met Diya again, although every time I passed the "Hauz-Khas" metro station my subconscious wanted me to call her and ask how she was doing, the dark eyes I saw last time were always on my mind. I wanted her to smile like she used to, but I was too afraid to take a step. I was waiting for her move. People often misinterpret it as EGO but it's a rational decision. When you are in relationship there will be one who makes the move and the other follows it, it't like rowing a boat, one should give the directions and the other hast to follow, in ours case it was Diya who always made the move, so I was waiting for that. Can you imagine the pain of not meeting your love when she is just couple of miles away? Trust me it's very hard, and what makes in worse is that you know that the person you are waiting for thinks that it's the EGO that's stopping you. But at times you have to, you have to stay put and wait for the right time. That's what I was doing.

It was a Saturday afternoon, I woke up with the knock on my door, it was my flat mate. I picked my mobile to check time, it was 3pm. I opened the doors; Abhi was holding a plate in his hand.

"Kitna soyega, uth ja abhi.. Here! your lunch."

I nodded and went back to bed. He placed the plate in my table and sat on the chair next to my bed. "Kuch plan hai aj ka?"

"Nahi, mujhe to bas sona hai"

"Chal thik hai fir sham ko shopping chalet hai." He said and stepped out of my room. I checked my whatsapp to see 12 unread messages. 1 of them was those typical forwarded message. I read the whole message, which asked me what type of relation I would like to have with the sender, I am sure you have got seen this message. I replied the sender and plugged my cell phone in the charger.

I what was that Abhi brought for me, Aalo paratha and tomato ketchup. After finishing my lunch I went for a bath. It was weekend so basically I was total vella today, and it was the sexy delhi winters so what better place to be than on the cosy bed, with warm duvet, so I went back to dig myself into the bed.

Unplugged my cell -- checked facebook profile, followed by pages, and then opened whats app. After checking every profile pic and every statues I got bored and as they say "Khali dimag shaitan ka ghar" I started forwarding the "forwarded message" to every know person in my contacts and that included Diya too. She was always the "Pseudo -intellectual" types, who thought replying to these messages were the stupidest thing to do so she never replied. But that day, god knows why, she replied. And that freaking reply changed everything, "A-fucking-GAIN"! I had no idea how a simple forwarded "SILLY AND STUPID" message could change everything.

Diya: The relations which I would like to have with you is "friends with benefits"

Me: Seriously?

Although, I wasn't expecting it at all but never mind, I liked it. Ofcourse men will be men, who wouldn't like his EX to be his FWB.

"Yes..."