𝟓❣

Adam flew through the Yokohama skies.

While jumping off buildings, using traffic lights as a scaffold, and crossing over the streets like they were stepping stones, Adam soared through the sky. Those down below that noticed him let out a scream.

After jumping on a utility pole from the roof of a bus stop, Chuuya spoke.

"Let go of me!"

As soon as he said that, Adam changed directions. He stopped mid-jump and fell straight down.

"Uwah?!"

Adam and Chuuya crashed into a vacant lot as a cloud of dust swirled around them.

From the midst of the dust, Chuuya stood up. He let out a single sigh, then held his breath. He used his ability to increase the gravity on the heavy restraints, letting it slide down little by little until it finally lost its grip and quickly fell off him. The restraints sank into the ground.

"There are so many things I want to say to you!" Chuuya stepped out of the restraining wires as he said that. "First of all, don't you dare carry me under your arm like some kind of parcel! You could've carried me on your back, or dragged me along, or something!"

"I'm terribly sorry." Adam staggered up out of a hole in the ground. "But given Chuuya-san's size, I decided it was most efficient to carry you like that."

"I'll smash you to pieces, you useless piece of junk! I'll have a growth spurt any day now!"

The vacant lot located in the middle of the city was unpaved, as if it were left behind. It was originally a Christian church, but it was demolished by the air force during the Great War and the unidentified beneficiary left it as an abandoned lot. On the site, there were lots of different playground equipment that had gradually been brought in by the neighboring residents, like tires half buried in the sand, elephant figurines with chipped paint, and swings for infants. They had practically become silent watchmen that guarded the land.

While Adam was dusting off his clothes, Chuuya's cell phone rang. It was Pianoman.

"What is it?"

"Are you safe, our little piece of luggage? Did you make it to your destination on time?" The voice on the other end of the line was amused.

"Shut it. I'm as safe as I've always been. What about you guys?"

"What about us, you say? Well, we're over here having a super-merry cleaning session at the bar. It feels fantastic doing manual labor in the morning." Pianoman gave a sarcastic laugh. "When you've finished, come back to the bar... is what I'd like to say, but it looks like we've just been called for a job. Let's meet up later."

"A job? Is it a cleanup?"

"We don't know yet, though I hope you're wrong." Pianoman let out a small laugh. "The mafia's errand boys contacted all of us. Since all five of us were summoned, it's probably a job for the boss. Or maybe we'll talk about a promotion? When I become an executive, I'll be sure to give you all a monthly allowance."

A voice shouted on the other end of the phone. "Hahaha! In your dreams, Pianoman!"

"So, let's all meet here at the bar tonight. Albatross will send for a car."

After a few short words of farewell, he hung up the phone.

Chuuya silently stared at his phone for a few seconds before turning around.

"Alright then, Detective Robot. It's just the two of us, so as promised, tell me what you know about Verlaine. Everything."

"Of course." Adam said. "First things first, please take a look at this."