A Mark of Hate

Dream couldn't take his eyes off Hob's naked body as the moonlight bathed him in its ethereal sheen.

Hob's hair splayed out in all directions giving himself a messy halo that rivaled that of any angel created by Yahweh. His tan skin seemed to glow from the light of the moon, highlighting the curve of each muscle that no marble sculpture could compare to. The small amount of stubble accentuated his face perfectly and Dream wished that he could spend eternity gently tracing his jawline with the tips of his fingers. The maroon blankets pooled around his lower half, leaving nothing to the imagination, while a strong arm rested around the Endless's waist. But what Dream loved the most was how soft Hob looked. Every muscle was relaxed, an interesting counter to his usual rigid demeanor. Hob may have settled over the years but no amount of time could ever make him truly comfortable to let his guard down when he was out in public. But here with Dream? Where no eyes would dare to try and peak. Well, Hob trusted him with his whole being.

It was during these quiet moments, as they are blanketed by his mother's body that Dream truly saw the beauty that Hob harbored.

But there was something that Dream hate-no, despised about Hob's body. It was a mark, a small but unique mark that lay behind his love's right ear. Its existence was a constant. The worst part is that he couldn't get rid of it. He knew that the mark was not from the genetic makeup of Hob's parents, the mark was carved into his soul. It would never leave no matter how hard one tried to conceal it. It would stay no matter how deep one's blade went, it was the portrayal of permanent. And Dream loathed it.

The mark was unnoticeable to those who looked at Hob for merely a second. Its small hiding spot even deceived its wearer until his father had pointed it out to him as a young boy. Dream remembered the tale that Hob had told him as he noticed Dream's obsidian eyes stare at the mark intensely. How, after its discovery, the local boys began to call him Eros until he was in his mid-teens. By then the boys stopped caring about making fun of their friends, instead, they were making a name for themselves and began to mature into men. The joy that was on Hob's face when he recounted those early days always made Dream look at his immortal in a different light. How he could look back on these memories with some sadness but overall affection to those who he spoke of. It made Dream truly see the vulnerability of the man. He should be the only one allowed to see this side of Hob. He is the only one. Yet that mark patronized him with the truth.

Hob didn't know what it meant. He didn't realize how that mark was a brand that the universe had "blessed" him. How the mark is what shows who truly holds Hob Gadlings' heart and soul. That mark showed who the Hob was made for. Who he was destined to spend his eternity with. It made Dream want to bellow with outrage.

He hated the perfect heart hidden by silken, brown hair. He hated how his sibling still inadvertently messed with his love life once more. Dream sometimes wished he could curse out the universe himself for the cards he was given. How for each love he felt, it either got shattered into dust or torn away from him. With Hob, he thought it would be different. He knew that his immortal would never leave him. How after 600 years the man still met up for their meeting, even after the fight. Even after he was "stood up", Hob still waited. He had made a pub in the name of Dream!

Yet still, the universe used his affection as a cruel joke. Yes, there was a companion that was out there for Dream, he knew. But Hob was already perfect. Dream didn't understand how this mistake occurred. Dream loved Hob and Hob loved Dream. The two made sense!

He needed to get some answers.

Dream reluctantly pulled himself away from the comfortable body next to him and manifested his clothes quickly. Dream checked his pockets to make sure everything was where it was meant to be and was just about to transport himself back to the Dreaming when a voice like the sweetest honey reached his ears.