Bailey

"How long is this flight again?" Bailey asked her sister over the phone as she dug through her purse for her kindle with shaking hands.

"Seven hours," her sister said between bossing around someone on the other end of the phone. "You would think it's this florist's first wedding." She scoffed.

The silence was deafening when Bailey didn't answer with something sarcastic or mean.

"B," Tess said, "did I mention how much I love you for doing this? I know how much flying scars you, but I really needed you this weekend. This wedding wouldn't be the same without you."

Tess was marrying her fiance Josh in London where they met six years ago. And despite Bailey begging on her knees for them to get married in Toronto, closer to home, Tess wanted the romantic get away.

"It'll be over before you know it," Tess encouraged. "And I stocked the wine bar for you in your hotel room."

"Now you're speaking my language," Bailey laughed a soft, nervous laugh. "I should go, the flight attendant keeps giving me dirty looks."

"I love you, try to relax. I'll see you soon." She cooed and ended the call.

"Try to relax," Bailey mocked with her head down. "Easier said than done when you've reached talking to yourself status..." she sighed and turned to look out the window.

She made an exaggerated play of turning off her phone, mentally giving the stewardess the bird. She might be terrified but she was terrified with attitude.

Bailey settled back into her seat, fastening her seatbelt and wishing they were in the air already when she felt weight in the neighbouring seat and a brush of pressure against her arm.

"I'm sorry, did I disturb you?" the red head smiled apologetically to her as she adjusted her position, "I forget how little space you actually get in these tin cans."

Bailey glanced over, her eyes meeting the most perfect shade of green she's ever seen and almost stumbling over her words because of them. "Tin can?" She asked.

The woman grinned and looked over at her. "That's practically what these are." She said gesturing to the plane. "Giant metal tubes with wings."

Unease filled Bailey's stomach as the woman grinned. "Great." Bailey whispered.

"Oh," her seat-mate said, "you're a nervous flyer. I'm sorry." Her hand covered her mouth apologetically but her green eyes sparked with the hint of a smile. "Please feel free to ignore me."

"It's fine, honestly," Bailey grimaced, swallowing past the knot of nausea and hoping her face wasn't as green as she felt. "If I could have been anywhere else but here I would have been."

She fiddled with the rings on her fingers nervously, twisting one way and the other in hopes that it would soothe her some.

"I imagine you must have a pretty good reason to get out of your comfort zone then?" her neighbor asked, her voice laced in a curious tone. "I'm Wanda, by the way." She added reaching a hand out towards Bailey.