Chapter 3

I looked at the entrance of my house door as I finally arrived after a long walk back from school. I had been a bit too eager to get back home, considering that this was the day my mom came to surprise me, and ended up instead meeting my other body. This time however, even though I'm really a girl now, I can spend the day openly with her! I reached for the ajar door, opening it fully and stepping inside to see my mom inside doing the dishes. I put on my most convincing shocked face and spoke.

"Mom?!" She turned around at my call and her smile widened.

"Danielle! Surprise! How was school?" She asked, wiping her hands with the washcloth.

"It was good. What are you doing here?" I asked, walking towards her after placing my bag on the ground and giving her a hug. I had to bend down slightly to hug her, which was nothing unordinary. She reciprocated the hug then let me go while still holding onto my arms.

"Oh I wanted to pop in and surprise you sweetheart. Oh my, look at you! You grow more beautiful each day. And you've gotten so thin! I need to get more meat on your bones." She said while looking me over.

I laughed slightly and shook my head.

"I'm fine mom! I'm just happy to see you again. It feels like I haven't seen you in years."

"Oh Dani, I missed you too. How's school been? Have you made any friends?"

"It's been good, most people are nice enough. And yeah I've made a few friends." She seemed both surprised and relieved at the new discovery of me having friends.

"Oh that's wonderful to hear! I'm so happy you transferred there, instead of being stuck at that horrible delinquent school..." Her expression turned sullen from the mention of my old school.

That made me wonder...was my life there the same as when I was a guy? When did I even lose all this weight? Those were all questions to put on my "Figure out at some point" list. But for now, I placed my focus on mom.

"Hey, let's go out for coffee, I know this really great coffee shop!" I said holding her arm and guiding her to the door.

"Well as long as it's nothing too expensive." She replied nervously.

"Oh mom, don't worry about it. It's my treat!"

"Oh no, I can't let you do that. I'm your mother. It's my job to take care of you."

"Consider it a gift then. I would like to treat you to an americano! They're really good."

"An A-Amaykano? What kind of fancy drink is that?"

"You'll see, or taste...but don't worry. I know you'll like it!"

We continued to chat while we walked all the way to "Star Coffee". The place we went to last time. And where Jace used to work part-time. Walking in, we were greeted by the smell of caffeine and the voice of Jace welcoming us.

"What would you like?" Jace asked from the counter.

"Two Americano's please." I replied. Mom's face turned flustered as she looked at the price of the Americano.

"Oh Dani, I'll just have some water."

"No it's ok, like I said it's my treat. I need to appreciate my mom in some form every now and again." I said while handing the money over to Jace, who seemed surprised about something at first, but then his face changed neutral again.

Eventually Jace handed us the drinks, and we turned to walk to a table. I was stopped by the sight of Vasco and some other burn knuckles members. I smiled and walked over to his table, while mom was following behind me.