xi. weirdos with weird names

"Wow! We're outside!! A real sky!!" Luffy stood in place of the Going Merry's figurehead as the ship sailed through the massive metal exit. Meanwhile, Zoro and Y/N had decided to throw Mr. Nine and Ms. Wednesday overboard.

"Agh! What is this!? A sea of gastric acid!?" The bluenette cried.

Her partner surfaced as well, "No! It's the real sea, Ms. Wednesday!"

"It seems, Mr. 9, that those pirates... knocked us out."

Luffy leaned over the white railing, "Who are you guys anyway?"

"Shut up!! Mind your own business!"

"Wait, Ms. Wednesday. Don't forget that our business is pirates." Mr. 9 snickered.

"That's right, Mr. 9. The organization will be very interested in them. Just you wait!"

"We'll meet again, you hillbilly pirates!"

"And Crocus! One day, we'll get that whale!"

Sanji watched the two strangers swim away, hearts in his eyes, "Ms. Wednesday eh? A woman of mystery..."

"More like a woman of rudeness..." Y/N mumbled as she walked past, leaving the cook to literally deflate.

Liffy held a wrist compass of sorts, "What's this? They must've dropped it."

"Should we let them go? Won't they come after the whale again?" Nami asked Crocus.

He hummed, "No matter what we do, some no-good whalers are sure to show up."

——◇——

Outside, Y/N sat at the simple table holding a small scrap of paper, rubbing her thumb on its white surface. Around her, everyone seemed to be discussing Laboon's tragic tale, but she didn't pay attention. It seemed every day she stared at the page, hoping it was the exact same as yesterday.

Her solemn contemplation was interrupted by Luffy stabbing the mast into the top of Laboon's head.

"Hey, isn't that the mast... of our ship?" Zoro hummed, glancing at the swordswoman as she hastily tucked something into her shirt pocket.

Usopp blinked, folding his arms. "Yeah, that's the main mast."

Silence overtook the crew as they processed the stupidity of their captain, only realizing once Laboon started bellowing. "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!?"

"DON'T DESTROY OUR SHIP!"

Luffy grabbed hold of the mast and began pulling the massive whale down towards the lighthouse, missing by only a meter or so. He was squished beneath the wait, freaking Crocus out enough that Nami had to reassure him that Luffy was fine. Yet the captain lept up, seemingly not done, and unleashed a rain of punches onto the poor creature, ending with one in its eye.

"What's he up to?" The liar wondered aloud. He jumped as Luffy was flung past him into the lighthouse.

Zoro shouted, "LUFFY! WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO!?"

But Luffy just stood up and looked at the whale with a face of determination. "It's a draw!! I'm pretty strong, huh!?" Laboon blinked in confusion. "Our match isn't over yet. We still have to settle it. Your friends may be gone for good... but now you've got a rival — me! After we circle the Grand Line... I'm coming back here..." Tears welled up in the whale's eyes. "...And we're gonna fight again!!"

Luffy and Laboon yelled at the top of their lungs as a sign of their promise. The strawhats looked on with fond smiles, and for a moment, Y/N forgot about the scrap of paper.