Chapter 18: Reminder

As our vacation came to a fast end, I realized that Sammy didn't set up this vacation for us. He planned it so he could record music. I know I shouldn't get angry because of that but I wish It was just me and him. On our flight home, Sammy wouldn't shut up about how excited he is about the industry and everything. I tuned him out and looked at the clouds.

When we got home my mom wanted to hear all of the details about our "romantic trip" but I didn't want to talk about it. I just went to bed because I was tired from the jet lag and the flight. In all honesty it wasn't very romantic at all. I was left alone for the majority of the trip and I had a feeling me and Sammy wouldn't be seeing each other that often anymore.  He as his life and I have mine.

And I was right. The next couple of weeks I was alone. I got a job at this Yogurt place and I was busy trying to make enough cash to save for my own car. Besides a couple of text messages from Sammy, I hadn't heard from him at all. He was just drifting away and every time I tried to make plans, he cancelled last minute. He told me he was going to see me. He told me he wouldn't let the industry get in the way of our relationship. But it was too late, it had already gotten in the way. Summer was over and the leaves had begun to fall slowly to the ground. I was beginning to feel sick to my stomach. Thinking that, me and Sammy were no longer really together made me sick. I started puking regularly because of the stress I had been under.

I texted Sammy repeatedly asking if we were even still together but he ignored all of my messages. I was closing up shop on Thursday night when the door swung open. It was Sammy.

"Sorry, We're closed." I said rolling my eyes at him.

he looked down at his shoes, guilty and then looked back up. His eyes met mine and I remembered why I fell in love with him.

"Im sorry, I have been so busy." He said.

"So have I, but you promised that you wouldn't let this whole thing get in the way of our relationship. You haven't even been making an effort to respond to any of my texts or make plans." I snapped.

"I just haven't had time. My fan base is growing and its fantastic and I want you to see-"

I cut him off and said "I don't care! I should have came before your stupid fans."

"You aren't even happy for me?" He asked raising his voice.

"How can I when you let this get between you and me!" I yelled back.

"I didn't mean too! Let me fix this.." His voice trailed off.

"No, Sammy, not this time." I said and left the shop.

He stood there stunned and I started my long walk home.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

School started back up. After the shooting, nobody returned to the school and now all of the students had to be taught the things they missed out on. All we really needed to make up was the last month of school and finals. I was a senior so I only had a moth left of High School in total and I was so ready for college. I wasn't sure exactly what I wanted to major in yet but I had a little time. Entering the school after the events that happened the last time I was in the building, was difficult. I couldn't imagine opening my locker without Emily bouncing over to me with a coffee waiting for me. She was always so peppy and I missed her so much. I sighed and opened the door to the school afraid to relive the moments of the shooting. I tried to not think about it but how could I not? I wasn't going to have the same teachers because some of them died. At least I didn't have too worry about being bullied. I walked to my locker and opened it up. Everything was exactly how I left it. Everybody at their lockers seemed a little overwhelmed and nervous. It was quiet in the halls for once. I watched Sammy walk right past me and straight to his locker without a word. Nate was next to him and they hugged. Nate. I had forgotten about Nate. Nate didn't come to school the day of the shooting and sure as hell knew that the school year wasn't going to continue with that kind of ending. So he kind of disappeared into the shadows hoping not to be questioned although he did indeed know about the Jack's plan.

He was obviously called to the witness stand in court, though. He did tell the judge exactly what happened and he was part of the reason that the Jack's did get sentenced to death. I think he was still having a hard time coping. But what did I care? He was just another one of my bully's.

Emily's death is still hard for me to deal with. But I hadn't felt so empty until today. Walking into the room where she was shot and killed made me cringe. The image of her bleeding unconscious body laying there made tears start to come. I could tell everybody else in the class was thinking the same thing. Our new teacher was here and said how sorry he was and then began teaching us.

The day dragged by painfully and I was continuously reminded of Emily and the shooting. I didn't want to have to deal with this for another month. When I was walking to my car Sammy was waiting for me leaned up against the trunk.

"I didn't mean to put my career before you." He said sadly.

I stood there unsure if I should forgive him but I obviously caved as always. I kissed him passionately and when I got home his car was already in my driveway waiting for me.

"Hey beautiful." Sammy said.

"I swear you pop out of no where all the time." I said laughing and grabbing his hand.

We walked inside and my mom and David were standing by the counter staring at the laptop screen.

"IM GETTING MARRIED." My mother screamed waving her hand in the air showing off her engagement ring.