Chapter 10

11989592

"What do you mean you lost her??" demanded Flame Eye. His anger sent sparks flying from his fists and smoke from his eyes.
"Now, Flame Eye, I think we should–" Purple Reaper was cut off as Ceris spat her reply.
"I mean that she was taken captive! And I'd thank you to lower your tone in my war room!" Flame Eye sneered at her.
"Your war room?" he waved a hand at the plushly decorated private dining room of the hotel. "You're no queen anymore, Iceheart. You wouldn't even be one of the living if it weren't for our captain, and this is how you repay her??"
"I was as incapacitated as she was! You–"
"Enough." Ceris started, and looked around. Standing at Gwendolyn's side was a tall Enderkin, clad in a deep blue kimono, mouth and nose hidden behind a black fabric mask, her midnight black hair dyed pink underneath. A dark katana rested at her hip; Sora Maeda, ambassador from the Gateways, and probably the only person Ceris considered her physical equal.
"We cannot afford to fall apart over a pirate." continued Sora. Both Ceris and Flame Eye bristled at her blunt words, but she ignored them, remaining cool and logical. "Arabella was a powerful ally, and I don't deny that she must be our priority if she is captured. However, there are other matters that require attention."
The assassin turned to Ceris. "You and Arabella captured a kitsune shortly before battle, didn't you? And didn't she alert the Imperium's forces?"
Ceris nodded reluctantly. Just before the attack, Arabella and herself had captured a young kitsune named Xi, who had begun the battle with some kind of telepathic message.
Sora sighed softly, and looked at Gwendolyn. "Would you care to explain the significance of this?"

Gwendolyn stepped forward, blowing a blonde strand out of her face.
"Kitsune are rare, and powerful. We have treaties with most of the prominent leaders to keep our forces off their native territories, as I'm sure you're aware, Ceris, given that you signed most of them. But..." she looked down, looking slightly guilty. "For a while, the coven has been aware of a criminal underground in Nordos city, largely based in a cavern beneath the city.  It seems to be some kind of gang situation, with constant infighting. But what makes it important is that the vast majority of these criminals are–"
"Kitsune." breathed Ceris softly. Gwendolyn nodded.
"And if this Kitsune you captured was part of one of the gangs, that could mean the Archangel Imperium is working with them. Which means we may have based ourselves right above a nest of hostile fox spirits."

There was a long pause. Ceris felt icy fear rise in her stomach, and quashed it with anger.
"Why did I not know of this Kitsune situation before?" she demanded, scowling at Gwendolyn. The sorceress lowered her eyes.
"We thought they weren't a threat...we'd hoped to study them, learn more about them..."
Ceris's eyes glowed with power as she opened her mouth to respond, but it was Purple Reaper who interrupted this time.
"You said the Kitsune tried to steal your bracelet while you were bathing in the lake?" Ceris nodded, eyes still fixed on Gwendolyn. Reaper lapsed into thoughtful silence for a moment.
"The kitsune triads are self contained beneath the city?" he waited for Gwendolyn's confirmation before continuing. "So, why did this one Kitsune slip out to steal from the surface, not to mention from someone outside the city? It seems rather too coincidental that a thief aligned with the Imperium would happen to stumble upon Ceris."

Once again, silence for a moment. Then Flame Eye spoke up.
"Well, we can find out. We go down into the cave, find the Kitsune and wring the answer out of her."
Ceris glared at him. "That is short sighted and foolish. We have no idea what we'd be dealing with, or even how to get down–"
"I believe I can help with that."
Every person in the room spun round at the sound of the contemptuous voice. Ceris's hair stood on end, and she felt her neck prickle with fear.
"All you'll have to do is trust me, my little dolls." chuckled Lilith, grinning brightly from the doorway.

11988852