Chapter Four

After a few more minutes of browsing, Lula had gathered all the essentials she needed. Valentino graciously paid for the items and made their way back towards the waiting limousine, their arms loaded with materials and supplies for the lamps.

Valentino had texted his chauffeur beforehand that he would be holding the door this time. With a flourish and a bit of chivalry, he held the backseat door open, gesturing for her to step inside.

"After you, mi amor," he said with a charming smile. Lula slid into the limousine seat, with Valentino sliding in after her. She didn't know a lot of Spanish, but she knew what that meant. She felt both flattered and perplexed.

However, before Lula could delve too deeply into her thoughts, Valentino swiftly broke the silence. "Now, mi bella polilla, we have everything we need for your creation," he said, his voice filled with a touch of excitement. "Let us return to your place and start bringing your vision to life." As he spoke, his antennae gave a slight twitch, reflecting his eagerness to see the lamp take shape.

His eagerness seemed to be contagious, her thoughts were filled with visions of the unique and stunning lamp she was about to create. This was her first real commission, and she was determined to do her best.

"I can't wait to see the lamp come together. Having you with me to help pick things out was a plus too..." Her voice trailed off as she once again felt the need to express her gratitude earlier. "Oh, and thank you for the lovely jacket,"

"Don't worry~ I told you it was a little gift.", he slid closer to her. He saw the confusion and uncertainty in her eyes when he called her ' mi amor'. He wanted to ease her nervousness but he also wanted her to know that he was serious about wanting her.

He still didn't fully understand why he felt so strongly about this. He wasn't even sure what he truly wanted from her. One thing was certain, and that was she was more than a fling, and she was never an option for his line of work.

" About me calling you 'mi amor', it seemed to make you uncomfortable," his fingers trailing gently along her antennae. " I meant no offense. He watched as she tensed up at his words. She was fully prepared to pretend like the term of endearment didn't happen. But she couldn't do that now that he brought it back up.

He continued to speak softly, his voice soothing as he attempted to ease her nerves. "You're a beautiful moth, Lula. I'm just appreciating the beauty before me."

Valentino gazed at Lula, his eyes locking onto hers with a deep, smoldering stare. He was never one for romance or commitment, but there was something about her that made him yearn for more. He leaned in closer, his words dripping with a sincerity and vulnerability he hadn't felt in years.

"Lula," he began quietly, his voice wavering just barely with an unnamed emotion. "You..."

He trailed off, his thumb gently grazing the smoothness of her hand. He hesitated, lost in his thoughts, unsure of what he wanted to say.

Valentino paused, his eyes flickering down to her hand, still resting in his grasp. His thumb absentmindedly traced small circles on her skin, almost as if he was lost in another world. "Lula..." he whispered again, her name feeling like a delicate flower on his tongue. He hesitated for a moment, as if trying to find the right words, before finally speaking.

"I don't know what this...this feeling is," he began slowly, his voice trembling with... fear? Uncertainty?

"But I-" he broke off, his voice suddenly thick with emotions. He was Valentino, an Overlord, a monster, the embodiment of lust and sin. He didn't do feelings, not in the way humans did. He was a collector of souls, a connoisseur of desires. He was not...