homesick

homesick (945 WORDS)

*     *     *     *     *

Despite the late hour, and the moonlight leaking through Albus' shuttered blinds, cars continued to rumble past. The sounds were not altogether unfamiliar, yet they still caused discomfort to develop in his chest. It proved a sharp contrast to the sensations of the early morning, when excitement had swirled so intensely in Albus' chest that he failed to stop smiling. He couldn't be certain when he'd first sensed his brain stuttering to a stop – perhaps, it was the despair he'd faced at the sight of the empty pantry. He would not have been wrong to blame his stupid fitted sheet either, which had popped from the corner of his mattress multiple times before Albus had managed to wrestle it on. He knew, for certain, though, that it was before Scorpius had started begging to play chess. He'd struggled to break down the pizza boxes as Scorpius had gloated about his victories.

Now, he struggled to keep the despair from escaping his eyes. His palms had been pressed to his face for many minutes. He chewed on his cheeks in frustration. He'd spent the better part of his life praying for the day he'd be free of his father's roof. Now, however, he'd have hiked home at the man's first offering.

His new bed failed to creek as his old had, twice the size of his twin bunk. The expanse of mattress radiated a chill that Albus failed to negate, given that he did not yet understand the heating and did not want to prowl from his room to investigate. He was forcing himself to linger. Memorising the shadows would not get easier if he escaped their alluring silhouettes. He struggled to lay still.

The world around him could not have felt more incorrect; paint fumes reaching his nostrils each time his hands shifted away from his cupid's bow. He did not recall a time he'd encountered the scent in his childhood home. Now, however, it was ingrained in the day's memories. He'd spent the better part of the morning organising his many, many Lego statues. In his moments of boredom, he'd fired nerf bullets at Scorpius' back, and had not stifled his laughter at any of the betrayed expressions directed his way.

Floorboards creaked outside his doorway. Albus swallowed hard. His room illuminated with a soft, yellow glow as light filtered beneath the panel. He held his breath as his silver door handle twisted, reflections shifting given scratches in the metalwork.

He lifted his hands to rub at his eyes as colour returned to his room. He could not have guessed their original saturation moments previous, despite the time he'd spent decorating the space earlier in the day. He was missing his childhood bedroom more by the minute.

It seemed his intruder fared no better.

Scorpius stumbled over the grey carpet. His pale cheeks had been tinted with white streaks, his eyes as red as the lip his teeth clamped tightly against. His arms had been wound tightly around his hips, vanished amongst the thick fabric of his jumper.

"Are you alright, bud?" Albus asked. He sat up, frowning at the lack of a creaking headboard. He allowed his disapproval to fade at the glitter running down Scorpius' cheeks. He tossed his fluffy duvet further over his legs, inviting his best friend amongst his sheets.

"I don't like not having my dad next door," Scorpius whispered. He rubbed at his eyes. "I didn't think I'd feel so homesick so quickly."

Albus extended his arms. He pulled Scorpius into his grip, unaware if the hug was a comfort to his friend or himself. He blinked back an onslaught of tears as Scorpius' sweet vanilla cologne flooded his bed. He couldn't have cared less – at least he recognised the notes, they'd often wafted through his previous residence, as well.

"Would you like to share with me?" Albus mumbled.

"Depends. Would it make me a wuss?" Scorpius asked.

"You're allowed to be sad, bud. You don't live with your dad anymore. You mightn't ever live with him again."

"I kinda feel like I'll never be a kid again," Scorpius muttered. He began to stuff his feet beneath Albus' duvet. He paused, scrubbing at his eyes to frown. "I shouldn't be sad. I should be excited. We can have sleepovers every night!"

"If it makes you feel any better, I've been feeling a bit sad too," Albus blurted.

"It's not just me?"

Albus shook his head. Scorpius squeezed him once more, and retracted to scrub at his nose. "Would you forgive me for not turning off the hallway light? I don't want to move?"

Albus chose not to admit he'd been hoping it could linger on, so that he could immediately find the source of every unfamiliar noise he encountered. "I'll let it slide this time."

"How generous!"

"Lay down, mate. I'm not going anywhere, either."

"We're going to have fun." Scorpius promised. "It won't feel like this forever."

"I hope not, anyway."

Scorpius nodded. He seemed altogether unsure. Albus could hardly concentrate on Scorpius' stance, however. Arms were tightening around his shoulders and tugging him further onto his mattress. It was growing increasingly more difficult not to sob. He managed to release many shaky breaths as he settled in his friend's grip.

"It's because we haven't eaten our leftover pizza for breakfast yet. Then we'll really feel like adults," Albus laughed.

"And we're going to get a couch, and we'll put food in our pantry."

Albus laughed. "And I'll teach you how to cook."

"You're going to learn how to mow the lawn."

Albus gazed into Scorpius' dim, silvery eyes. "It won't be so bad."

"I don't think so either. But I want to be sad about it for now."

Albus squeezed Scorpius tightly. "Me too."

- A / N - 

hi everyone! sorry this is late <33. I hope you enjoy nonetheless. This one is shorter but I'm still very proud of it!!