FRIGATE/DESTROYER ESCORTS Pt2

Ships: Brp Andres Bonifacio(PF- 7)             Brp Gregorio del Pilar(PF- 12)             Brp Diego silang(PF- 14)             Brp Francisco Dagohoy(PF- 10)

             Brp Gregorio del Pilar(PF- 12)
             Brp Diego silang(PF- 14)
             Brp Francisco Dagohoy(PF- 10)

Type: Andres Bonifacio- class Frigates.

Origin: United States

Builder's: Lake Washington Shipyards.

Displacement: 1,766 tons standard 2,800 tons full load

Length: 311.65 ft (94.99 m)

Beam: 41.18 ft (12.55 m)

Speed: 18.2 knots (33.7 km/h) Max

Range: 8,000 nautical miles ( 15,000 km) at 15.6 knots (28.9 km/h)

Armaments:

1 x Mk. 12 5- inch/38- caliber (127 mm) dual purpose guns

2 x Mk. 1 twin Bofors 40 mm L/60 AA guns

2 x Single Bofors 40 mm L/60 AA guns

4 x Twin Oerlikon 20 mm cannons

4 x M2 browning. 50- caliber (12. 7 mm) general- purpose machine guns

2 x 81 mm mortars

Aircraft carried: None permanently assigned; Helipad could accommodate One MBB Bo 105 helicopter.

Others: The Andres Bonifacio class Frigates were Ex Barnegat- class Seaplane Tenders. Brp Andres Bonifacio was the first of the class which was formally USS Chincoteague (AVP- 24) which served in the United States navy from April 1943 to Dec 1946 and was put in the reserve fleet. But in 1949 she was loaned to the US Coast guard  which was commissioned as the Casco- class coast guard cutter USCGC Chincoteague(WAVP- 375) she was transferred permanently to the Coast Guard in 1966 until her decommissioning in June 1972. Then in the same month she was transferred to the South Vietnam navy as RVNS Ly Thurong Kiet(HQ- 16) she also participated in the battle of the Paracel Islands against China on Jan 19 1974. After the collapse of South Vietnam the ship fled with five of her sister ships carrying hundreds of refugees to Subic bay Philippines in April 1975 in were the US Coast Guard inspected the ship and cleaned the ship before formally transferring to the Philippine navy. In the Philippine navy she was renamed Brp Andres Bonifacio(PF- 7) as a frigate in where she served from 1980 to 1985 but was still listed as active in 1993. Plans to reactivate Brp Andres Bonifacio into an auxiliary flagship failed because of lack of funds. She was finally sold for scrapping in 2003 and her sale helped in financing for the upgrade of the Jacinto- class of Offshore Patrol Vessel.

Brp Gregorio del Pilar(PF- 8) was Ex USS Wachapreague(AGP- 8) of the Barnegat- class Seaplane Tenders. She was formally commissioned in the US navy from May 1944 to May 1946 where she was decommissioned. Then the ship was transferred to the US Coast Guard as high endurance cutter USCGC McCulloch(WAVP- 386) in 1966. She was also transferred to the South Vietnam Navy being renamed RVNS Ngo Quyen(HQ- 17). She fled south Vietnam after it's fall with her 5 sister ships to the Philippines carrying hundreds of refugees. Once cleaned and inspected by the Coast Guard she was formally transferred to the Philippine navy as Brp Gregorio del Pilar(PF- 12). She served the Philippine navy from June 1980 to June 1985. She was then recommissioned but due to lack of funds she was again decommissioned in April 1990 and was sold to scrap after.

Brp Diego silang(PF- 9) was an Ex Barnegat- class Seaplane Tender. She formally entered service with the US navy as USS Bering strait(AVP- 34) in July 1944 until being decommissioned in June 1946 and put in the reserve fleet. She was then recommissioned in 1949 by the US Coast Guard as USCGC Bering strait(WAYP- 382) as a high endurance cutter. Then was transferred to the South Vietnam navy as RVNS Tran Qwung khai(HQ- 02) . After the fall off south Vietnam she fled with her sister ships to Subic bay Philippines carrying hundreds of refugees. She was inspected and repaired and was formally transferred to the Philippine navy in April 5 1976 as Brp Diego Silang(PF- 9) as a frigate she served the navy from 1980 to 1985 but was reactivated until 1990 where she was finally decommissioned and sold for scrap.

Brp Francisco Dagohoy(PF- 10) was Ex Barnegat- class Seaplane Tender. She was commissioned by the US navy as USS Castle Rock(AVP- 35) which served until 1944 to 1946 where she was put in the reserve fleet. Then she was transferred to the US Coast Guard as the cutter USCGC Castle Rock(WAVP- 383) until she was again transferred to the South Vietnam navy as RVNS Tran binh Trong(HQ- 05) in where she fought against China in the battle of Paracel Islands in 1974. After the fall of south Vietnam in 1975 she fled to Subic bay Philippines with her sister ships. After cleaning and repairs she was finally commissioned to the Philippine navy as Brp Francisco Dagohoy(PF- 10) on 1979 and served until June 1985 but unlike her sister ships she was never recommissioned after being decommissioned and was sold to scrap in 1993.

_____________________________________

Finally done!!!!!