Chapter 1- Penelope

Nobody tells you just how loud the sound of silence is. At this moment, I feel like I can hear everything and nothing at the same time.
"I'm sorry," I mutter to Brett, my best friend, the love of my life, the boy whose heart I am shattering at this moment.
I stare at his drained, yet horrified face that is stroked with teardrops. Teardrops that I am causing. God, I can't stand hurting him like this,
when he's been with me all my life.
"W-Why...? Why have you decided to break up with me?" Brett asks me, his words sounding shaky and desperate.
I think about our memories together. Him and I at twelve years old, having our first awkward kiss on a school field trip. I remember the other kids making kissy noises at us. I stare at his now mahogany-hued cheeks, his eyes overflowing with tears. I need to tell him the truth.
"We want different things in life," I reply, gulping back my own shaky voice. "I'm going to South Carolina University for basketball, and you are going to Virginia Tech for baseball. I can't do long distance, you know that Bee-Bee,"
I always call Brett my special nickname for him, since we first met at the ripe age of six. Our mothers are best friends, so obviously we spend lots of time together. I know my decision is going to break my mother and his' heart, but it's what has to be done. Brett's eyes look like they've been through too much. I hate hurting him like this. His teary eyes stare deep into my soul, their blue hue begging for help.
"I understand, Penny," he replies softly.
Before I can open my mouth to apologize, my best friend, my soulmate, my Bee-Bee, is gone.
God, I'm so stupid. I miss him already. I miss his skin, his laughter, his sarcastic comedy, the way he'd hold me as I sobbed when my father passed from cancer.
He isn't here to hold me now as I cry, coughing on my own tears.