Chapter 1

A hospital. Mayple Greives Hospital to be exact. I'm visiting a childhood best friend, Arlo. His doctor told me he could leave the hospital soon. They just need to monitor him for internal bleeding. His ginger hair was the brightest thing on him aside from the dull hospital gown.

I call him Asslo. Personally, it fits his vibe well, since he's kind of an asshole. Arlo has that milky pale skin, despite his mother's dirt brown skin.

After staying for a few hours, we said our goodbyes and left.
Though I hadn't stepped out long when he started having a coughing fit. That boy is always sick in one way or another. Whether it was organ failure, a simple cold, or a kidney stone, Arlo has had all of those experiences at least once. Various nurses were in his room as he coughed up a storm. Poor Arlo. Do I just leave? Should I be there for him? No...Arlo's strong...always has been.

Suddenly, I caught my feet moving away from Arlo's room. Most likely for the best...I know Arlo doesn't want me to see him like that. I just wish he was high enough on the transplant list to get a new liver...even a simple cold knocks the kid off his feet. At this rate, Arlo might die before he gets a liver transplant...and I can't afford to lose someone else...but now is not the time to ponder so aimlessly.

The thing I'm truly upset about happened years ago. Might as well not hide myself behind fake care and attachment to people I wasn't even close with to hide my past pain. Pain is pain, no amount of attaching myself to an outlet is going to change that, all that matters is how my pain affects my actions towards others. As long as I don't lash out or get too close to people, I'm fine for the most part.

Eventually, after walking down various halls and using the elevator, I found my way back to my car and sighed. Finally, I hate the smell of a hospital...it's sickening. I open my driver-side door and get in the driver's seat. Now I can finally go home. I hate it here.

It's too quiet...I should turn on the radio.

"Now playing the top ten hits of to-"
The announcer pauses abruptly as I turn the channel over to another station.

I'm not interested in the top ten hits of today...is that all radios ever play now? How boring. Finally, after about ten to fifteen minutes, I found a radio station playing something that I was interested in. Thank God. Something to take my mind off things.
I soon pulled into my driveway. Oh, home sweet home. Finally. Now I can rest up for my first day of college tomorrow.

This is perfect. The sound of my keys jangling while I walk to my front door, the sounds of the sprinklers spraying at the same time every day, and the sound of the rocking chairs creaking on Mrs. Gretta's porch as she braided weeds while Charlie played in the yard. Home sweet home...I love it here. Bands Town. It's small, and not many people live here, but the charm is there. In the places to go, things to see, a helping hand, and hospitality.

Bands Town used to be a lot larger a town, but then, around sixty years before I was born, people from as young as 2 and as old as 33 would go missing near the closest lake to Bands Town. Its real name is Lake Mors. Mors is Latin for death. Though, since people have been disappearing, their bodies tend to be found in the water. Well...most of them do. Some never turn up again. Like the person the Lake is named after currently. A girl who went missing at the age of 4 in 2002. Not even her body was found. No one knows if she's dead or alive. All they knew of the girl...was her first name and her age, which was carved into the sand.

....Eerii....

That's all they knew, and probably will ever know of her. No one ever learns more than that.