01.

You step out of LT1: the building where you met Felix, the boy who cried on your laps two years ago.

He's no longer bisexual, praise God!

No one threatened him or forced him. All you did was spend time with him, many days and nights. You pride yourself in being an evangelist, yet you don't feel you're doing enough because your whole school isn't saved.

Leaving LT1, you feel the heat, drying humans, too, like clothes. Sweat wells are leaking out, the salty liquid trickling down your chest to the band of your boxers, which will make your waist itch when you get home. No problem, you'll just throw this boxer among the dirty ones, and wear a new one to sleep, or not. Who knows? You may be too tired, you know.

You were listening to today's sermon, "A GROWING VINEYARD," by Pastor Benson Koki, talking about how the garden of your heart must be tilled before the fruit of your works can produce. The message hit you hard. That's why you describe it to Salome as "edifying", as you put the full stop and click the black kite in the green circle.

As you walk towards the new relaxation center erected by the previous Student Union Government, you spot a girl sitting under the shed closest to you. The Holy Ghost nudges you to sit where she's sitting. Perhaps He wants you to preach to her.

Your eyes meet when you take a step up the stairs. They linger. She greets. You do too and sit down. Your earpiece is in, and you're nodding to the sermon, making notes on the pretty, mature notepad you bought last week with the $100 you earned writing for a foreign client.

Your heart starts to move before your private part starts to move. But you're more furious your private part is moving. The one beneath your trousers, in front, of course. You know it's the brown thighs you're facing. But she isn't attractive, you think to yourself. Attractive or not, thighs are thighs.

You try not to look, but it catches your eye at the right angle, or vice versa.

She lifts her head to observe you, once in a while. Or maybe you're not sure. Maybe she's attracted to you, and your face. Maybe she's unaware of the effect she's having on you. You're first embarrassed because you think she saw your jeans move, but after stealing glances as you pretend to still be writing, you convince yourself she doesn't know. Well, what if she's so used to this it's not new to her anymore. You hope that's not the case. That's going to make you even feel worse about yourself.

You're supposed to be different. You're not like the other boys. You are the light of the world, a city set on a hill that cannot be hidden. You quickly grab your tote bag and put it on top of your legs. You remove your Bible from the tote bag and, glancing at her face, you put it on the table.

An image flashes in your mind: you're on evangelism, preaching passionately, when she whispers to her friends how she made your prick stand last Saturday. You leave the tote bag there.

You're wondering why this is happening to you. You usually do not think this way. Maybe she's got special powers, like abido shaker? Libido shaker?

It's not that she's even fine. Actually, you know, under normal conditions you shouldn't be attracted to her.

You remind yourself you are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus, that you have a sound mind, that lust cannot take over you, and that you will not fall for the evil one.

For a moment, you think that she knows what she's doing. Perhaps she's intentionally doing it. You want to convince yourself you're right. And in that moment when you ask the Holy Spirit why your prick is rising? He says, "Because you're a man."

Your shock is confirmed in the squinting of your face.

It hurts that your tongues do not rid you of the function of your penis. The erection stops, eventually, after a process of intense focus on things above and not on things beneath.

You walk away from the scene. And as you do, you ask the Holy Spirit, “Are you playing tricks on me?” You get no response.

You still see the girl around, and every time you do, you feel that you guys have a shared secret. That feeling has made you wave at her, peep at her book while she's studying at TLH6, and ask her if, “you had an exam today?”

She gets more and more beautiful the more you bump into her.

You know deep down there's a connection between you both. Somehow.