Chapter 07: Alone

Chapter 07: Alone

***

The silence hung heavy, enveloping everyone present in its oppressive grip. It seemed as though a fragile, invisible barrier of soundless waves surrounded them, ready to shatter with the slightest noise, tearing through each person in its path. Zoe kept her gaze fixed on Tyler, unmoving, while the others around them began to grasp the gravity of the situation.

Tyler stood frozen in the doorway, uncertain of his next move. As he looked at Zoe, his facade crumbled. He took a hesitant step forward, but Zoe instinctively retreated. Tyler halted abruptly, rooted by the apartment door.

Zoe's hands, once cold, now burned with rage. Heat flushed her face, and the corners of her eyes prickled with tears.

"Tyler, what the fuck?! Why did you leave me in the car—Oh—my god,"

The tension broke when Khlea suddenly came running inside the apartment. Khlea's eyes darted at Tyler but she immediately pressed her lips in a flat line as she realized what was happening. Her eyes widened when she looked over at Zoe and Ashley. Zoe watched how Khlea looked down on the low table, noticing the pregnancy tests laid on top of it.

"Z-Zoe, I can explain," those were Tyler's first words.

"Explain—Explain what? What the fuck, Ty?! What did you do?!" Khlea suddenly pinned Tyler on the wall, holding him at his collar.

"You fucking idiot!" Lilianna charged at Tyler with her fist. "What did you do?!"

Zoe watched as he endured the curses and harsh words from their friends. Meanwhile, Ashley's eyes were drowning in tears as she stared at them. Zoe noticed Ashley's gaze slowly drifting towards her. When their eyes met, Ashley shivered.

"Zoe—please—" Tyler started pleading. "Please let me explain—"

His trembling voice touched a nerve. Zoe was a single string from snapping, but she managed to keep her voice to a minimum.

"Shut the fuck up, Tyler," she said calmly, not looking at him. Her eyes were set on Ashley. "Are you okay?" Zoe asked it was almost a whisper.

"What?" Ashley's eyes flickered in disbelief.

Zoe sighed and quietly made her way to the kitchen, her mind a relentless whirlwind of thoughts. Turning. Snapping. Turning. Snapping. She glanced at the others, still shouting at each other by the door. Snapping. She discreetly waved her hand, ensuring no one noticed, to close the door. Though the outside world was shielded from their noise, her ears were not.

"Here," Zoe appeared beside Ashley again, a glass of water in hand.

Zoe kept her eyes on the glass but still noticed Ashley's wordless glance. Ashley did not move, not even to take the glass from her hand. She looked confused, scared, and hurt. She looked like she wanted to say a lot but she did not know where to start.

Zoe glanced at her for a second but immediately looked away when the pain in Ashley's eyes was stabbing her like daggers. It's one thing she doesn't want to see in anyone. Pain.

She sighed and placed the glass down on the low table. Then, she looked at Tyler who looked exhausted from being cornered by the two ladies.

"We'll talk later, alright?" Zoe turned to Ashley. Her expression was a mask, but her voice was gentle to her friend.

Zoe didn't wait for her to respond and walked up to the others. Khlea was not letting him go but Lilianna stepped back.

Zoe looked at him in the eye and felt—nothing. Nothing. She sighed and continued staring at him. Nothing.