Chapter 1: Unexpected Visitor

Jayce and Hunter sat close to the flickering fire, shivering in the bitter cold of the night. Their breath misted in the still air as they waited for any sign of Pearl and Amber's return. The girls had ventured out five days ago in search of other survivors, leaving Jayce and Hunter to tend to the camp and pray for their safe return.

"I hope Pearl and Amber return soon," Hunter muttered, breaking the heavy silence. Jayce simply nodded, his eyes filled with worry and uncertainty. The camp felt lonely and desolate without the girls' reassuring presence.

"What if they're...y'know... lost?" Hunter voiced the fear that had been lingering in both of their minds. Jayce mulled over the possibility in silence before responding, "If they're lost, we'll just have to continue." His weary voice betrayed the weight of the responsibility he felt for the group's survival.

Hunter, driven by his concern for the girls, suggested, "You can leave. I'd go find them..." But Jayce, haunted by the memories of past losses, knew that there was no turning back. "I've lost too many people. You haven't. You need to learn to move on," he said quietly before retreating into his tent, leaving Hunter alone with his unanswered questions and the heaviness of the night settling upon him.

Hours had passed into the still, dark night when Jayce jolted awake from yet another terrifying nightmare. His friend, Hunter, was still fast asleep in the bed next to him, occasional soft snores filling the quiet air. Jayce rose quietly and left the stuffy tent, seeking solace in the cool night air outside. As he settled down next to the now-extinguished fire, a slight shiver ran through him.

Abruptly, a loud thud broke the silence, causing Jayce to swiftly turn around, drawing his sword as a defensive reflex. Standing before him were two young girls, each with striking electric blue eyes that seemed to hold an indescribable allure. The taller girl pushed back her hood, revealing ethereal wispy white hair tied into a ponytail that cascaded down her back, while the other girl unveiled her dyed pink hair fashioned into two braids resting on her shoulders. Jayce eyed them warily, and just then, Hunter emerged from the tent, muttering, " Hi guys,"

Introductions followed, with the taller girl known as Clover and her companion named Thea. Jayce couldn't shake off an uneasy feeling about Clover and confronted her, demanding to know their intentions. Clover explained that they had spotted their fire and had been travelling for days, hoping to find other survivors. Thea's smile faltered, and Hunter empathized, acknowledging the loss they all had experienced.

Tensions rose as Clover lashed out, expressing the depth of their own losses. Jayce empathized, recounting the pain of losing everyone he knew. Their exchange was abruptly interrupted by a rustle in the bushes, and Jayce caught sight of two familiar figures emerging from the shadows.

"Hunter exclaimed, his eyes wide with disbelief. Amber responded with a smile, but her expression quickly turned to a frown as she glanced at Clover and Thea. "Who are they?" she asked, her hand casually resting on the hilt of her knife. Pearl approached, trying to diffuse the tension with a cheerful smile. "I'm sure they mean no harm," she said brightly. Jayce, eyeing Pearl suspiciously, questioned her about her cheerful demeanour. Pearl nonchalantly mentioned that they had encountered more "people," deliberately avoiding the word "survivors," a term that held painful connotations for her since the Great War. As Pearl spoke, it became evident that the war had affected her deeply, just as it had affected everyone else. "Oh...?" Jayce responded, fixing his gaze on Pearl. Pearl eagerly ushered in three new individuals, two boys and a girl. Recognition dawned on Jayce as he gasped at the sight of one of the boys – a flicker of familiarity that stirred unease within him."

Words: 642 ( Trust me the next will be 1,000+)