Chapter 1.2

Dear Alafia,

How are you doing, dear? You may not remember me, but I'm a friend of your late Aunt Khadija. When your family used to come visit, I would always love seeing you all at the Harvest Festival. I loved seeing you all in your little costumes helping Khadija run her booth...it was always the busiest one with her fruit being famous county-wide. It sure was a shame when business started dying down when she couldn't keep up.

I apologize, I'm not writing to bore you with the rantings of a nostalgic old man. As you are aware, your aunt passed away earlier this year – God rest her soul. I know we didn't see your family at the funeral, but your mother told us there was a family matter you all couldn't get away from. I'm sure you're planning a trip to come up and pay your respects soon.

Anyway, her farm is still in pretty good shape on account of the town stepping in where they can to keep everything in order...but Khadija never had any direct kin to pass the farm down to. Her wish, in fact, was for one of you kids to inherit the farm. And I mean the whole thing – the buildings, the acres, the trees, of course – she left it all for one of you.

Now I'll be honest, I already tried with your older siblings, and none of them are interested. One of them didn't even get back to me directly, her secretary did. I tried your mother as well, but after a few months I figured she had no plans to get back to me.

And so, my dear, it is all up to you. I don't want to put pressure on you – after all, you're still such a young little thing – but if the farm doesn't go to you, I have no choice but to offer it up for sale to the highest bidder. And with that amount of land, we're all afraid some big-shot will roll into town and demolish the whole thing for some new-fangled nonsense none of us want any part of. No one in town has the capacity to take on running the farm full time – and, frankly, even put together we wouldn't be able to outbid a big corporation looking for the land.

We want to keep the farm alive. And despite whatever happened that kept your family away for so many years, we would love to have you back in our little town. The mail lady said that this would be priority mail – and it better be, given the price I had to pay for it! – so I'm hopin' this arrives at your doorstep by the end of the month. Otherwise, I'll have to move forward with the auction. Let me know.

I hope to hear from you. All business aside, I personally want to preserve Khadija's legacy. No one should have that farm but her own family.

Best,

Thomas Havens, Esq.

105 Caster Lane

Greer Oaks, CA

I stood there silently, reading and rereading the letter. Finally, I looked up at Miss Adams who was patiently waiting with a sad smile.

"My Aunt Khadija is dead?" I finally managed.

Miss Adams gathered me against her side under her wool cardigan. It was uncomfortably scratchy, but her body underneath was warm and soothing.

"Let's get you some tea," she said, pulling me along down the pathway to her apartment.