CAUGHT IN FRIENDZONE

I dedicated this story to my silent reader. 

--- 

Xette is lonely and only spends her life with her three close friends; she's also a writer, but without their knowledge, she secretly had a crush on Iann. Iann is a hardworking and focused student, known for his dedication to academics.

Her heart was pounding against her chest as she stood in the crowded hall of her high school. She remembered what her friends said to her. Alenah and Jessica gave her an encouraging smile, nudging her forward. She had a feeling of excitement and, at the same time, nervousness. Today was the day Xette decided to confess her feelings to Iann, the boy she had secretly admired for years. She had planned every word and every gesture, hoping for the perfect moment to reveal her heart.

As the school event unfolded, Xette searched for Iann in the sea of students. Finally, she spotted him across the room, engrossed in a conversation with his friends. He was sitting on the bench, holding a paper. Summoning all her courage, Xette made her way through the crowd, her palms sweaty and her mind racing with doubts.

"Xette, you got this," she almost whispered, giving her a supportive pat on the back before disappearing into the crowd. Jessica also cheered for her and encouraged her to go. She nodded and mouthed them to say “thank you.” 

Taking a deep breath, Xette approached Iann; she could only hear her heart pounding faster and faster.
She opened her mouth to speak, but her voice caught in her throat. Iann put her paper aside and looked up. Iann curiously observed her and waited for her to say something. 

"Hey, Iann," Xette began, her voice barely above a whisper. "Can I talk to you for a moment?"

Iann nodded and gave his friend a gesture to leave them a moment. "Sure. What is it?" 

She took a deep breath and began,I... I wanted to tell you something." She stammered, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment. "I... I like you, Iann. I develop deep feelings for you."

A moment in silence. Her heart was pounding in her chest as she waited for his response. Her fingers trembled. 

"Iann, I..." Xette's voice trailed off as she saw the expression on Iann's face. It wasn't the look of affection she had hoped for; instead, it was one of sympathy.

"Xette, you're a wonderful friend, and I value our friendship a lot. But right now, I'm really focused on my studies. I want to get into a good college, and I can't afford any distractions," Iann said gently, his voice filled with sincerity.

I knew it.

Xette felt her heart shatter into a million pieces at his words. She had hoped for so much more, but now she realizes that her feelings are one-sided. Swallowing back her tears, she nodded, forcing a smile on her face. 

“Of course,” she replied, her voice almost cracking. Xette avoided his gaze and distracted herself so as not to let out her tears. 

With that, Xette turned and fled from the hall, her eyes burning with unshed tears. She couldn't bear to face Iann any longer, not when her heart felt like it had been ripped apart.

Over the next few days, Xette avoided Iann at all costs, burying herself in her writing as a way to cope with her pain. Mia, ever the supportive friend, tried to cheer her up, but nothing could fill the void that Iann's rejection had left behind.

"You'll get through this, Xette," Jessica assured her, squeezing her hand comfortingly. "I promise."

Despite Jessica's words of encouragement, Xette couldn't shake the feeling of emptiness that consumed her. She had poured her heart out to Iann, only to be met with rejection. It was a pain unlike anything she had ever experienced before.

But as the days turned into weeks, Xette found solace in her writing. She poured her emotions onto the page, channeling her pain into her stories in a way that was both therapeutic and cathartic. And slowly but surely, she began to heal.

One day, as Xette was working on her latest story in the school library, she felt a presence beside her. Looking up, she was surprised to see Iann standing there, a sheepish expression on his face. She startled, almost jokingly. 

"Hey, Xette," he said softly, his eyes filled with regret. "Can we talk?"

Xette's heart skipped a beat at the sight of him, but she quickly composed herself, nodding in response.

"Sure, Iann," she replied, her voice steady despite the turmoil of emotions swirling inside her.

Iann took a seat beside her, his gaze fixed on the floor as he spoke. "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry, Xette. I never meant to hurt you. You're an incredible person, and I value our friendship more than anything."

Xette felt a lump form in her throat at his words. She had spent so long wallowing in her pain that she hadn't stopped to consider things from Iann's perspective.

"It's okay, Iann," she said softly, reaching out to place a comforting hand on his arm. "I understand."

They sat in companionable silence for a moment, the weight of their unspoken words hanging in the air between them. And in that moment, Xette realized that maybe their story wasn't over just yet.

She hoped. 

As they continued to talk, Xette and Iann found themselves opening up to each other in ways they never had before. They laughed, they cried, and they shared their hopes and dreams for the future. And in that moment, Xette knew that no matter what happened next, she would always cherish the bond she shared with Iann.

Their friendship deepened, and while they didn't rush into a romantic relationship, there was an unspoken understanding that something had changed. They had both grown, and their bond was stronger for it.

In the ceremony, Iann received her award for being a published author. After the ceremony, Iann approached her with a proud smile on his face. "Congratulations, Xette. You deserve this."

"Thank you, Iann," she said, her heart swelling with warmth. "I couldn't have done it without your support." 

Her friends gathered, and they started talking about her achievements. As they walked away from the event, Xette felt a sense of peace. She didn't know what the future held for her and Iann, but she was ready to find out. She had her writing, her dreams, and her best friend by her side. And for now, that was more than enough.

"Wait for me!"" said Alexa as she started running towards them. 

The end 

Who's story next? 

-----

Thank you for reading.
I hope you enjoyed reading my short story! Your support will be granted.