[LOG 01: NEW STARTS SUCK]

Friday, June 16th, 1996, 6:21 p.m.

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐎𝐎𝐑 opened, before slamming shut almost immediately

𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐃𝐎𝐎𝐑 opened, before slamming shut almost immediately. Orion might've jumped, if this wasn't something supremely common—especially when rent was due soon. If they had to hazard a guess, based on the sound of the slam and the footsteps, it was probably .. Mari? Cia, wouldn't get off of work for another hour, and she liked to stay out.

Usually Mari went out as well, but ... it was Friday; the week had been long, and they'd been working overtime a lot. Because Cia worked for the New York Times, making about 3k a week, she usually made sure they had enough for the month. Regardless, everyone always worked extra hard, because you could never be sure. Along with that, if they could, they'd help pay for friend's rent.

So, while not too worrying, they still stressed about it, because what if.

Pausing their music, Orion leaned back on their chair with a stretch before turning.

"Hey, Mari!" They called, hearing her step closer "How was work?"

Mari poked her head into the room, smiling. She looked tired as hell, but still happy. Which was good! Orion wanted both of their friends to be happy, always. Well, not always, because negative emotions were natural, but if they could keep that to a minimum.. that'd be great.

"Work was good!! That reoccurring customer, who I thiiiink her name was Daisy, came back! She wanted a dirty blonde with an orangish fade," Mari waved a hand, grinning widely as she talked. Orion could tell that their expression was softening as they listened to her—gods, they loved their friends. "And this teen, with their mom—I think they were trans? Which, super sweet to see a supportive parent, and had a wonderful hairstyle idea!"

Orion nodded along, listening partially—but their attention was drawn away by the thought of dinner. If Cia was staying out, would she get herself food with one of the friends she talk about? Maybe, but it was Friday; they usually tried to hang out today or tomorrow.  Remembering that Mari was still talking, they tuned back in—or, at least, did their best to.

"-and then," She exclaimed, making them blink. Ah. How much had they missed out on..? "He yelled at the desk! For 'overcharging' him—like, we know the prices, maybe he shouldn't have gotten something so complicated?"

"Sounds like a pain," they commented, standing up. "Wanna tell me more about it while I make dinner?"

Mari lit up, sour attitude discarded for a moment.

"Ooh, what're you making tonight?" She asked, prompting Orion to pause, thinking on it a little. Yesterday, they hadn't eaten—both Mari and Cia had stayed out, and they'd just.. forgotten to. There hadn't been much food left.That didn't always happen, but they'd fixated on writing, and passed out at their desk. Cia had gotten groceries, but came home late. Wednesday had been eggs and toast..