chapter eighteen

Kaden's POV
I was sent home after a week of recovery in the hospital. Starla and I left with no intention in going home. Even though I wasn't supposed to be driving at this time, I knew where I was going, and Starla and I hadn't talked about it. She didn't fight me on any choices I made. I think a part of her was ready for all the killings to end. I had talked to the police telling them we were going out of town. I told them I would leave our destination with the head investigator. I made sure to do it in away no one would know. When all was said, only me and him would know where we were going.

"Were are we going?" Starla asked as we approached a gas station

"My family has some land up south. I thought we'ed go there and stay for a while," I tell her

"Are we going hide forever?" she asked

"No, Starla, I just need time to heal. And I need you safe."

"Can I call Grandpa?" she asked

"When we get up there," I tell her

The house that I was taking her to is an old farmhouse that my father owned.
It was out away from society, where no one would find us. but there was a small town nearby to shop for food and other goods. The farm house sits on twenty-five acres of land. Most of it was a wooded area at this time. There were at least two acres of nothing but overgrown weeds and green grass that blocked the huge farmhouse. The house was two stories with an L shape porch big enough for two rockers and a swing. It was white with chipped paint and green shutters and a roof. Mildew had sit in where water had settled. There were vines and weeds growing up the sides of it. The door was old and withered but still usable. There were some cracks in the windows, but none were broken dirty, but all were counted for.

As we pull into the long, overgrown driveway, I see Starla glance up at the house. Her eyes are aware of everything around her.

"Your father owned this," She asked

"Yes, it become mine after his death," I told her. "Not many know about it exist"

"It's beautiful," She says

I smile only. Starla would see the beauty in an old beat-up building.

"We'll go into town and get some food and cleaning supplies to clean up a couple of rooms for tonight," I tell her

I pull to a stop in front of the house. Getting out, I go around opening Starla's door. She stands in awe at the house. Placing a hand on her lower back, I lead her up the porch and through the door into the parlor. Its walls are a pelly peach color with cobwebs and dust. Most of the future in there has been covered by dirty old sheets.

"We'll pick a room and the kitchen to clean for tonight, and tomorrow we'll start decided what we want to do with it all," I tell her

"We'll have to have a bathroom too," she says with excitement

"Yes, I'll take you on a tour tomorrow,"

"So, I'm not going to get to see all of it tonight,"

"We need to get to town before the electric company closes to talk to them about coming out tomorrow,"

She nods, "What room are we staying in tonight?"

"There's a downstairs room right off the sitting room. We will stay in there tonight."

"Ok."

I hear the sound of an approaching vehicle "Good their here"

"Who?" she asked as I dragged her back outside

"I arranged for more gaurds to meet with us up here," I tell her. "we can't be too safe."

"Boss," Trucker says as he steps out of his van