Chapter V. Tears of Parting: Jacob's New Path

Jacob has always been incredibly kind to me and my family. Every Saturday, we would visit my parents' home, where my mom would lovingly cook for us and even take care of our laundry. Jacob particularly enjoyed my mom's cooking, and he formed a special bond with my family. It felt like he truly became a part of our household.

One morning, I woke up from a troubling dream where he was leaving me. In the dream, I couldn't chase after him, and I awoke with tears streaming down my face. When I told Jacob about my dream, he remained silent, leaving me feeling uneasy.

Hazel: (waking up with tears) Jacob, I had a terrible dream. You were leaving me, and I couldn't chase after you. It felt so real...

Jacob: (silent, looking concerned)

Hazel: (feeling uneasy) Jacob, are you okay? Why aren't you saying anything?

Jacob: (sighs) It's nothing, Hazel. Just a dream. Don't worry about it.

Hazel: (still uneasy) Okay...

Later, when we visited my parents, Jacob pulled my mom aside for a private conversation, leaving me curious about their discussion. I noticed a sadness in my mom's eyes afterward, but she didn't say anything to me. Eventually, Jacob confessed to me that he was going to study in the US and would be leaving soon, with only a month left in the Philippines. I was devastated and couldn't stop crying.

Jacob: "Hazel, there's something I need to tell you."

Hazel: (concerned) "What is it, Jacob? You look serious."

Jacob: (taking a deep breath) "I'm going to study in the US. I'll be leaving soon... in a month, actually."

Hazel: (devastated) "What? Why didn't you tell me sooner? I... I can't believe this."

Jacob: (sadly) "I'm so sorry, Hazel. I didn't know how to tell you. I didn't want to hurt you."

Hazel: (tears streaming down her face) "I can't believe you're leaving. I don't know what I'm going to do without you."

Jacob: (trying to comfort her) "I know this is hard. I promise I'll stay in touch, and we'll find a way to make it work."

Hazel: (crying uncontrollably) "It's just so sudden. I don't want you to go."

Jacob: (holding her gently) "I understand, Hazel. I wish things were different. But we can get through this together."

Hazel: (sobbing) "I just... I don't know how I'll manage without you here."

Jacob: (whispering) "I know, Hazel. I'm so sorry."

My mom, seeing my distress, tried to reassure me that it was for the best, emphasizing that Jacob's pursuit of education in the US was important for our future. Despite her words, I felt an overwhelming sense of sadness and confusion. I walked away, and Jacob followed, promising to return and assuring me that he was doing this for our better future. But even as he spoke those words, tears continued to stream down my face, and I struggled to come to terms with the news.

Jacob: (catching up to Hazel) "Hazel, please wait. I need to talk to you."

Hazel: (still crying) "Jacob, I just... I don't understand. How could you keep this from me?"

Jacob: (gently) "I'm so sorry, Hazel. I didn't want to hurt you. I thought it would be easier if I told you closer to the time."

Hazel: (sniffling) "Easier? How is this easier? I feel like my world is falling apart."

Jacob: (holding her shoulders) "Hazel, I promise you, this is for us. I'm doing this for our future. Getting this education will open up so many opportunities for us."