Raise a glass | parallels

"𝓘𝓯 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓼𝓽𝓾𝓶𝓫𝓵𝓮, 𝓶𝓪𝓴𝓮 𝓲𝓽 𝓹𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓭𝓪𝓷𝓬𝓮"

"Cheers!"

Clinking of champagne flutes. Clicking of high-heels. A high-pitched giggle she never thought she could let out as she downed the bright liquid in one gulp, elegantly, of course.

She was floating. It was the champagne, wasn't it? All those bubbles had to be let out. Oh well, it was a party. You couldn't go to a party without getting drunk these days, anyways.

Her shoes were rather tight. Someone had turned the music up, a lovely tune that made her want to kick off those accursed stilettos and twirl around on the dance floor.

Maybe she should. It would help, and along with all the alcohol, it would make her forget everything just for a night. But the straps just wouldn't give. She looked for a table, anything, to steady herself against.

It would be quite romantic, if I fainted right now. Wouldn't it?

She thought rather giddily. The floor was fading, the edges of the shadows softening. It would be soft, like her bed. Inviting.

She could make it look good, back of her wrist pressed to her forehead as she swooned like she was a heroine of some romance. Maybe-

"Star."

An arm wrapped around her waist. Piercing blue eyes froze her, but just for a moment. You didn't stop moving at a party. No, every mis-step was another dance move.

"Theo!"

Had his eyes always been that shade of blue? Stabbing shards of glass? No matter, they looked good together in photographs with her own grey ones. That was what Theo cared about.

It was so like him to turn up now. Like her knight in shining armour, like he had always been since they were still little children. Like he would always be.

"Let's dance."

Couples were already on the dance floor, hands raised high above their head as they swayed to the beat. Was that another song? They were blending together at this point, but they could still dance nonetheless.

Theo sighed. Always so gloomy. A dance would cheer him up, but he's always so busy. He took her hand-so kind!-and led her towards the crowd.

'Fine. Just one dance, yeah?"

She smiled and followed Theo. She just knew he would agree-

"Ah!"

The heel of her shoes caught on something. She knew she shouldn't have worn those, but Theo said they looked good, and she was attending this party for him.

"Careful."

Theo grabbed her arm just in time. His hair was tousled again, and she reached up to brush back a lock of it. Only she knew how much time he had spent gelling and styling it, but honestly she liked it messy better.

Not now, though. There were oh-so-important business partners here and Theo needed to look his best-though he always looked good to her.

"Are you enjoying yourself, Star?"

Theo took her other hand. His eyes were dark, questioning. So serious, but that was just his personality.

She laughed. What kind of question was that? This party was marvellous, simply marvellous. Besides, Theo was happy here. It would gain him much-needed connections.