Friends

Over the next few days, whispers spread through Hogwarts like wildfire. Harry Potter and Pansy Parkinson were seen studying together in the library, raised eyebrows and curious glances following them everywhere. The two ignored the stares, choosing to focus on themselves and the new friendship forming between them.

Harry and Pansy settled into a routine, meeting in the library after classes to study and talk. The once-awkward silences gave way to shared laughter and mutual respect for each other. In the quiet corners of the library, they began to find solace.

One evening, Pansy arrived early and found Harry already buried in a stack of books. "Diving deep into Potions, are we?" she teased as she slid into the seat across from him.

Harry looked up, a faint smile playing on his lips. "Yeah, these assignments are no joke. Thought I'd get a head start."

Pansy chuckled, pulling out her own books. "Well, seeing as you saved us all a couple of times, I thought you'd have a knack for potions too."

Harry grinned, a hint of his old mischief sparking in his eyes. "Saving the world and mixing a perfect potion are two very different things, Pansy."

She laughed, the sound light and genuine, surprising even herself. "Fair enough, Potter."

As they settled into their work, a comfortable rhythm developed. Pansy found herself smiling more often, the weight of her past mistakes lifting slightly with each passing day. Meanwhile, Harry began to see Pansy as more than just the girl who'd once been his adversary - she was resilient, intelligent, brave, and...beautiful.

During one of their study sessions, Harry glanced at Pansy as she scribbled notes furiously. "You know," he said thoughtfully, "it's kind of nice having someone to do this with."

Pansy paused, her quill hovering above her parchment. "Yeah, it is," she admitted softly. "I didn't expect this..."

Harry nodded, his expression serious. "It's good to have someone who understands, even just a bit."

Pansy's gaze softened. "We both need this, Harry. A chance to be normal, to be... just us."

He smiled. "Agreed. Here's to...us. Friends?"

She extended her hand across the table, and Harry shook it firmly. "Friends."

That simple word held a world of promise. In the quiet corners of the library, Harry and Pansy began to rebuild.

Not everyone was pleased with Harry and Pansy's growing friendship. One afternoon, as they made their way to the library, the two were intercepted by Draco Malfoy, flanked by Blaise Zabini and Millicent Bulstrode.

"Potter," Draco drawled, his eyes narrowing. "And Parkinson. Quite the odd couple, aren't you?"

Harry shifted closer to Pansy, ready to protect her. "Got a problem, Malfoy?"

Pansy glanced at Draco, her face betraying a mix of defiance and regret. "What do you want, Draco?"

Draco's lips curled into a sneer. "Our dear Pansy, switching sides now, are we? Associating with the Golden Boy doesn't wash away your past, you know."

Harry took a step forward, his voice firm. "She doesn't have to wash away anything. We're all trying to move past what happened, Malfoy. You of all people should try it."

Blaise snorted. "Trying to play the hero as always, Potter. Some people don't forget so easily."

Pansy's eyes flashed with anger. "I'm not trying to forget, Blaise. I'm trying to be better. Something you'd know nothing about."

Millicent stepped forward aggressively, glaring at Pansy. "Better? You expect us to believe you've changed? You were the one ready to hand Harry over to the Dark Lord!"

Pansy flinched, the old wound reopening. Before she could respond, Harry stepped in. "She made a mistake, but she's trying to make amends. Aren't we all here to rebuild?"

Draco's eyes bore into Harry's. "You think you can save everyone, don't you, Potter? But some things and some people can't be fixed." Bitterness and regret leaking from his voice along with animosity as he spoke.

Harry's face hardened. "Maybe not, but it doesn't mean we stop trying. Pansy's my friend, and if you have a problem with that, you'll have to go through me."

The tension in the corridor was palpable, each side waiting for the other to make a move.

Pansy placed a hand on Harry's arm, her voice steady. "Let's go, Harry. They're not worth it."

Dragging his gaze away from Draco's cold stare, Harry nodded.

They moved past the group. As they turned the corner, Pansy let out a breath she didn't realize she'd been holding.

"Thank you, Harry," she said quietly, her eyes filled with gratitude.

Harry gave her a small, reassuring smile. "We're in this together, Pansy. Always."

They entered the quiet sanctuary of the library, the tension from the hallway still lingering in the air. Harry glanced at Pansy, noticing the tears gathering in her eyes. She quickly averted her gaze, taking a deep breath as they settled into their usual corner.

For a few moments, the silence was thick and suffocating. Finally, Pansy looked at Harry, her voice breaking as she spoke. "Harry, I'm so sorry... for everything. For what I tried to do in the Great Hall... all of it." She wiped at her eyes, frustration and sorrow etched into her features. "I was scared. I did terrible things, and I don't expect anyone to forgive me - not even you."

Harry leaned across the table, his expression soft and empathetic. "Pansy, we've all done things we're not proud of. It was war. You don't have to apologize because we're both trying to move forward."

Tears streamed down Pansy's face now, the dam breaking. "You don't understand, Harry. I was so... misguided. I thought supporting him would keep me safe, keep my family safe. I realize now how wrong I was."

Harry reached out, taking her trembling hand in his. "Pansy, look at me."

She hesitated, but slowly lifted her eyes to meet his.

"Everyone was scared. Everyone made choices they regret. What matters now is that you're here, trying to make amends. That's what counts," Harry said gently. "I believe in second chances, and I believe in you."

Pansy's breath hitched, and she squeezed his hand tightly. "Thank you, Harry. That means more than you know."

Harry moved around the table and sat beside her. Before she could react, he enveloped her in a hug. For a moment, Pansy stiffened, but then she melted into the embrace, her body wracked with silent sobs. Harry held her, offering the comfort and understanding that she desperately needed.

After what felt like an eternity, Pansy pulled back slightly, her face flushed but calmer. "I haven't allowed myself to cry in a long time," she confessed, her voice raw.

Harry brushed a tear away from her cheek. "Sometimes it's the bravest thing we can do."

Pansy's breath hitched as Harry touched her. Then she smiled, a real, genuine smile. "We've both come a long way, haven't we?"

Harry nodded, his heart full. "Yeah, we have. And we'll keep moving forward together."