nove

Later that night, an outdoor dance party was thrown in their honor. After months of being here, the gnomes wanted to share their gratitude for their protection against the pixies.

Aldrich wouldn't admit it, but he almost teared up at the sight of all their efforts. He really would miss them too.

Fireflies idly floated around in glass jars, illuminating the scene before them. Rows of red and pink roses, strung together with thin string, were draped across the sloped branches of the surrounding trees. Sugar and spice filled the air with a tantalizing aroma, the scents of savory meals and sweet pastries at the ready.

Up ahead, a grassy area was cleared to make room for dancing, which some gnomes already took the chance to do. Their lithe bodies swayed and spun to the preppy beats of guitars playing in the background, the acoustics blending together in smooth harmony.

Meanwhile, Aldrich wondered if he still remembered how to dance. The last time he did, it had been a few years ago during a mandatory ballroom gathering for the royal court. Back then, he recalled countless girls flocking over to him, eager to steal his precious time. Their faces were a boring blur, none of them worth the memory.

As he sipped from a glass of fruit punch, he noticed Lenore watching over the dancing gnomes, clearly new to the whole ordeal. From what Aldrich knew of his life, which was a lot more than anyone else, Lenore never had the opportunity to experience much of anything.

"Interested in learning how to dance?" he found himself asking, as he playfully nudged Lenore's side with an elbow.

Lenore looked away and rubbed the back of his neck, growing sheepish. "I'd be bad at it."

"No you won't." Aldrich extended his hand out. "Not if I'm the one teaching you."

Lenore scanned his hand for a bit, his pale face warming up to a pretty shade of pink, before nodding. Their fingers joined together, causing a delightful shiver to race up Aldrich's spine.

"I usually lead," he said, maneuvering them over to the flow of dancing gnomes, "but since you're taller, I'll show you how to lead instead."

Like a fawn learning its first steps, Lenore stumbled into the grassy clearing, his grip on him tightening.

"Relax." Aldrich leaned forward to whisper, his voice tickling the shell of his ear. "I got you."

The pink in Lenore's face intensified as he fumbled to follow the rest of his instructions on where to position themselves. Aldrich could feel the cold touch of his hands delicately hovering around his waist and shoulder, hesitant to reach all the way.

He looped his arms around Lenore's neck, pulling him in closer. "You have to hold on a little tighter if you're going to lead."

Lenore swallowed dryly before readjusting his hold on him.

With their bodies pressed together, Aldrich resumed his delivery of instructions, conveying them through gentle whispers and encouraging murmurs. Every now and again, Lenore couldn't help stepping onto his toes, but that was to be expected for a complete beginner. Winces would cut through his impassive expression. Awkwardly stoic apologies were thrown in the mix.

However, Aldrich maintained his composure with ease, not annoyed in the slightest. Mistakes were only natural in the learning process. Besides, he knew that Lenore would catch on quickly.

And quickly he did.

Only half an hour later, Lenore was already breezing through the basics. Thanks to Aldrich's guidance, more confidence seeped through, present in the way that he would glide them through the rest of the grassy clearing. They circled around and back, enraptured in their new pattern.

On command, he even succeeded in twirling Aldrich around not once, but twice. As Aldrich allowed himself to dramatically spiral out for the second time, he came back to him with a tap to his feet and a hearty laugh. The noise must have been contagious because a second later, Lenore also joined in.

Aldrich could happily melt at the sound of that low velvety laugh. It was absolutely intoxicating, the most exquisite tune to ever exist. He wanted to hear it again and again.

For the rest of the night, they only had eyes on each other as they indulged in the jovial music, the enthusiastic beats of their feet following along to a fluent rhythm. Dance after dance, one after the other underneath the fireflies and flowers.