Part-17

The tension in the precinct was palpable as Karishma, with a stern face and unwavering resolve, placed Haseena behind bars. "I have all the evidence against you. The police don't lock someone up without reason," she asserted confidently.

Sam, her colleague, approached her with a hushed tone, "Mam, but what proof do you have? You haven't even told me."

"Stay quiet," Karishma shot back, her focus unshaken.

From the confines of the cell, Haseena's voice rose, tinged with a mix of betrayal and desperation, "Look, Karishma Mam, you're making a mistake. I thought you were my friend, and now you're doing this to me."

Ignoring the outburst, Karishma retreated to her cabin, immersing herself in paperwork, only to be interrupted by Sam's urgent voice, "Mam, CID officers are here, and they want to meet with you."

"Let's go," Karishma responded curtly, stepping out to meet the new challenge.

"Hello, Officer Karishma. I am Alex from CID. You must be aware of the three murders that have occurred here. Two were staged to look like suicides or accidents, but the third murder has given us some evidence, and the girl you've just arrested is under suspicion. We saw her near the crime scene on CCTV," Alex explained.

"Sir, may I see the clip?" Karishma inquired, her professionalism intact.

After viewing the footage, Karishma pointed out, "Sir, Haseena's face isn't visible in this. How can you say it's her? We arrested her because we suspect she's the hacker our cyber department has been trying to catch. I was staying in her house, keeping an eye on her. She only went from home to the university. And regarding the murder you mentioned, she was with me at that time, so how could she have committed it?"

"Listen, Officer Karishma, we're not saying Haseena committed the murder. We just want to question her," Alex clarified.

"Sorry, Sir, I can't allow that. Since I've arrested her, we can't let anyone talk to a suspect like this," Karishma stood her ground.

"Officer, you're not hiding anything, are you? You're not trying to protect Haseena, are you?" Alex probed.

"No, Officer. Why would I side with a criminal? I'm just following my duty," Karishma defended herself.

"Alright, then we'll return with full proof, and if Haseena is involved, no one will be able to save her," Alex concluded, leaving the station with a promise of a deeper investigation.
.
.
.
Aarush approached Karishma, his voice steady but his concern evident, "Mujhe Haseena se milna hai."

Karishma nodded, her response professional yet accommodating, "Thik hai, jaiye mil lijiye."

As Aarush neared the lockup, his eyes brimmed with tears, a testament to the bond he shared with Haseena. "Tum chinta mat karna Haseena, mein tumhein yaha se bohot jaldi hi bahar nikal lunga. Koi tumhein yahan kaid nahi kar sakta," he assured her, his voice a mix of promise and comfort.

Haseena, her emotions raw, pleaded through her tears, "Bhaiya, please mujhe yaha pe nahi rehna hai."

Karishma, observing the allotted time, intervened with a gentle firmness, "Bas, time khatam ho gaya milne ka. Ab aap ja sakte hain."

In that brief moment, Aarush conveyed a silent message to Karishma, his eyes holding a depth of unspoken words. Karishma, understanding the gravity of his silent plea, subtly nodded, an unspoken agreement passing between them.
.
.
Karishma's voice carried a note of command, yet there was an underlying concern as she instructed Sam, "Haseena ko kuch khane ke liye dedo, lunch time ho gaya hai."

"Yes, Mam," Sam acknowledged with a nod.

Approaching the cell with a tray of food, Sam offered it to Haseena, who pushed it away, her voice a mix of hurt and defiance, "Mujhe nahi khana hai. Aapko pata hai, Karishma Mam, mujhe aapse pyaar hone laga tha, sachha wala pyaar. Par ab mujhe aapse nafrat ho rahi hai. Aapne dost kaha tha na, dost aise karte hain?"

Karishma, overhearing the words that cut through the air, turned away to hide the emotion that threatened to surface. She brushed away a tear, a rare moment of vulnerability, before retreating to the sanctuary of her cabin. There, in the silence, she admitted to herself, "Maine ye sab tumhare liye kiya hai, Haseena. Mein bhi tumse bohot pyaar karti hoon... par mere paas aur koi raasta nahi tha tumhein bachane ka." Her heart ached with the burden of her duty and the cost of her choices.
.
.
Karishma entered her home, the air heavy with the melancholy of Roohi's sobs and the dogs' mournful cries. Roohi's eyes, filled with tears, met Karishma's as she accused, "Aap bohot bure ho, Karu. Aapne meri Hasu ko jail mein band kar diya. Mein aapse kabhi baat nahi karungi."

Karishma's heart was heavy, but she maintained her composure, wiping away her tears. "Roohi beta, aapke Hasu ne galti ki thi, toh unhe punishment bhi toh milegi na," she explained, her voice tinged with sadness yet firm.

Roohi's voice trembled with innocence, "Par mujhe meri Hasu chahiye. Mujhe unke bina acha nahi lagta hai. Please Karu, meri Hasu ko wapas laa do."

Karishma knelt down, her eyes meeting Roohi's, making a heartfelt promise, "Thik hai, mein tumse promise karti hoon ki do din ke andar aapki Hasu aapke paas hogi. Aur aapke saath khelengi, aur aap unko touch bhi kar paoge."

Roohi, seeking assurance, asked with hope, "Sachi, Karu? Vo mujhe god mein bhi lenge, kisi bhi karengi?"

"Haan, bilkul Roohi beta," Karishma affirmed, her promise a beacon of hope.

Turning her attention to the despondent Romeo and Juliet, she beckoned them with a gentle call, "Changu, Mangu, idhar aao."

The dogs approached her hesitantly, their sadness palpable. Karishma enveloped them in a warm embrace, stroking their fur with love. "Tum dono chinta mat karo. Haseena jaldi wapas aa jayegi, vo bhi pehle wali Haseena," she reassured them.

Their response was to lick Karishma's face, a gesture of their trust and understanding in her words. The room, once filled with sorrow, now held a quiet anticipation for Haseena's return.

"Kabhi-kabhi dikhta kuch aur hai aur hota kuch aur hai,
Aur kabhi-kabhi apno ko bachane ke liye unke khilaaf jana hi padta hai............"

To be continued............