The Rivalry Begins

The roar of the crowd at the international cricket stadium was deafening. Shubhman Gill stood at the edge of the field, his heart pounding in his chest. This was his first match with the national team, and the weight of the expectations was heavy on his shoulders. He adjusted his gloves, trying to steady his breathing. This was his dream come true, yet he couldn't shake off the nervous energy coursing through him.

As he walked onto the pitch, he caught sight of Ishan Kishan, the team's celebrated wicketkeeper and batsman. Ishan was shorter, but his presence was impossible to ignore. He was laughing with Rohit Sharma, the team captain, his grin as bright as the stadium lights. Shubhman felt a twinge of something he couldn't quite place. Jealousy? Resentment? Whatever it was, it simmered just below the surface.

Shubhman and Ishan had never mixed well. Shubhman had joined the team after Ishan, but his rapid rise and the opportunities that came his way had caused an unspoken tension between them. Ishan's natural charm and loud personality seemed to overshadow Shubhman's quieter, more introspective demeanor.

The first innings began, and Shubhman found himself fielding near the boundary. The ball was hit high, and he sprinted towards it, diving to make an impressive catch. The crowd erupted in applause, and his teammates cheered. Shubhman got up, dusting himself off, feeling a rare sense of accomplishment. As he jogged back to his position, he glanced at Ishan, who was watching him with a neutral expression, not a hint of a smile.

The match progressed with intensity. Shubhman's performance was stellar, earning him praise from the coach and senior players. During a break, he overheard Rohit and Virat Kohli discussing strategies.

"Shubhman's doing great," Rohit said, nodding in approval.

"Yeah, but Ishan's not taking it well," Virat replied, glancing over at the wicketkeeper, who was silently fuming.

Shubhman felt a pang of guilt. He didn't want to be the cause of discord in the team. He admired Ishan's talent and dedication, but the constant comparison was exhausting.

Later, in the locker room, the tension became palpable. Shubhman sat quietly, replaying the day's events in his mind. Ishan entered, his usual smile replaced by a hardened look.

"Nice catch out there," Ishan said, his tone flat.

"Thanks," Shubhman replied cautiously, unsure of where this was going.

"You're making quite a name for yourself," Ishan continued, his voice edged with sarcasm.

Shubhman sighed, standing up to face him. "Look, I'm not trying to compete with you, Ishan. We're on the same team."

"Are we?" Ishan shot back, his eyes narrowing. "Because it feels like you're here to replace me."

"That's not true," Shubhman insisted, frustration creeping into his voice. "I respect you and what you've done for the team."

Ishan scoffed, shaking his head. "Respect? Is that what you call it?"

Before Shubhman could respond, Rohit and Virat entered, sensing the tension. "Alright, enough," Rohit said firmly. "We need to work together, not against each other. Got it?"

Both men nodded reluctantly, but the air was thick with unresolved conflict.

As they left the locker room, Shubhman couldn't help but feel a sense of foreboding. This rivalry was far from over, and he had a sinking feeling that things were going to get a lot more complicated.

Outside, the team bus waited. Shubhman took a seat near the window, staring out at the bustling crowd. Ishan sat a few rows back, his laughter now subdued. Their friends, including Surya, Mayank, and Rishabh, tried to lighten the mood with jokes and banter, but the underlying tension was hard to ignore.

Shubhman's mind wandered to the days ahead. He knew he had to prove himself, not just as a player, but as a teammate. But with Ishan's resentment growing, he wondered if that would ever be enough.

_______________________________________________________________

Hi guys, 

I am writing a story of this kind for the first time. Wanted to see how it would be received and to test if I should write further.

Let me know in the comments if you want another chapter!!! 🥺 Also plz vote!!! 

(Any similarities to other ishman stories are purely coincidental. I do not believe in plagiarism and would love any feedback to tweak my story and avoid it.)

Love,

SS✍🏻❤️