chapter 4

I UNINTENTIONALLY RUN into Hamzah

I UNINTENTIONALLY RUN into Hamzah. The boy gives me a hard bump, and I stagger back, dropping my pencils and papers.

"Oh my gosh, do you have eyes?" I stoop and furiously begin gathering up my belongings. "Does blindness run in the family?"I offend him.

"My bad." He also stoops down to help me, he grasps my pencil case and hands it to me. I gasp and knock it out of his hand in an instant.

"Okay. First and foremost, ouch. And secondly, you're acting like a five-year-old."

"Shut up, whatever act you're trying to pull, I'm not buying" I back away

"What're you talking about?" His look is intense. "You know..." I look him over, raising my hands and waving them about. He looks confused but keeps the same expression.

"Your whole, 'trying to be nice' act so you could get class president" I raise my fingers in quotation marks.

"—Oh, because you're so perfect" With a snarky remark, he looks me up and down. He puts on an expression of contempt.

"I never said I was" as I pull my belongings into my arms and turn away from the boy. "Just, shut up!" Hamzah scoffs at me as I push by him.

・❥・

I observe the teacher writing the lesson's goal on the white board while I sit silently in class. I record it in my book. The teacher notes on the board that finding a partner is another need. I simply wait for everyone to have theirs so I can work independently. It appears that was unsuccessful.

The teacher says, "If you don't have a partner, put your hand up." I roll my eyes in my head and gently begin to raise my hand. And, from the corner of my eye, so does Hamzah. No one else raised their hands; it was just the two of us.

I gently begin gathering my belongings and making my way to his table, clicking my tongue. I sit down beside him. Clearly putting a lot of distance between us.

Upon gaining complete focus on the teacher, she proceeds to remove a baby doll from the sack she is carrying. Knowing what we were going to learn, I sink in my seat and pout.

This was the most embarrassing experiment ever. "The baby project!" The woman up front says out loud as she cradled the fake baby in her arms.

There were a few students moans audible to the entire class. I turn to face Hamzah, who is clenching his jaw and closing his eyes in frustration. An annoyed expression never leaving from my face.

"We could work at the library..or at mine. Unless you want my mother to beat your ass."

"What's wrong with my house?" He furrows his eyebrows. I continue to look at the teacher as I felt his strong glare on the side of my head.

Trust me, you will never catch me at a man's house. Never in my life would I ever step foot in a boys house. Specially boys that are named Hamzah.

"Because your father scares the shit out of me."

・❥・

"Mads!" The boy behind me continued to repeat himself. I cease wondering why I would be receiving a call from him. It was starting to grow crowded, and the students passing by started to push past us both.

"Make this quick," I say as I study the mad faces of students.

"What time should we meet?" He clutches on to his backpack as people started to get even more aggressive as they passed us.

"Five o'clock," I tell him directly as I lift my wrist to check the time on my watch.

"fine." He sighs.

"Fine." I finish and make my way to the school's exit.