Preview

"If I told you about the darkness inside of me, would you still look at me like I was the sun?" Her eyes were glossy, and I felt something within me break. Had she always been this ashamed of herself? Is this why she was always silent? Because she felt the need to hide it all away.

"Gin..." I murmured, going to touch her, but she cowered away. She was afraid of people getting close to her. "Of course I would, nothing else could even compare."

"Are you sure?" She sounded defeated, and it hurt me all the more. She didn't deserve this. She was just an innocent girl. "Higuchi, promise me."

"I promise you!" I could cry. What hurt her so much that she was scared to show even a part of herself? Maybe Mr Akutagawa knows. Would that be betraying her trust, though? I... I don't know. "Gin, please."

"I don't believe you." She whispered, and I noticed her shaking, her eyes had gone wide with fear. I don't know what to do.

"Hey, Gin." We both turned to see Tachihara walking in on us, and we both seemed to calm down upon seeing him. Did she feel more comfortable with him? I guess they're closer than we are, so it makes sense. It kinda makes me jealous. I wish we had the same relationship they had. "Don't lose yourself in hopes someone else will find you. It's never worth it. You'll lose every time."

"Michizo..." He brought her into a hug "I-I-I'm..."

"Don't apologise. Not to me, anyway." I felt his eyes on me, and gave him a sheepish smile. I know he's always been wary of me, and my relationship with Gin. I'd always put it down to them being such close friends, and because of that he has a need to protect her, which I totally understand. They pulled away from each other, and you could tell she was working herself up over this. She was in hysterics.

"I-I don't know what to do, and I'm scared." She cried, and Tachihara just watched her for a second before giving a small sigh and looking away. What was that about? There was something in his eyes that I couldn't quite pin down. Regret, maybe? I don't understand why it would be.

"Follow your heart, Gin. It hasn't led you wrong yet."

"Thank you, Michizo. And Higuchi?" She turned to me, pulling down her mask and smiling at me. And oh God, was it beautiful. To this day, I never understood why she hid it. "Thank you for loving me anyway."

And that's when I noticed something - some makeup that had come off her face. And it looked like it was trying to hide some sort of scar. But from what? I think I only get left with more mysteries the more I find out. I'm almost scared to find out more.