8

(POV: 3rd person Omniscient)

The warden watched from the darkness. For some reason, he couldn't bear to turn away or leave. He wasn't sure why he couldn't get himself to leave the (Y/S). He listened as (Y/N) called out for help, and felt anxious as he heard the voices of Albert and Peter. The two miners couldn't see nor hear the warden from their positions. They only saw the dim figure of a (Y/S) that needed their help. The two humans began to approach (Y/N), the warden fighting back the urge to run out to protect the injured (Y/S). He mentally reassured himself that the two miners were only trying to help. That (Y/N) needed their help.

Yet despite the warden knowing he had brought the (Y/S) the help they needed, that he could go back to the ancient city and resume his role of the guardian of the ruins, just like those that lived before relied on him for, he couldn't bring himself to just... leave. Perhaps the warden was finally coming to terms with the fact that the city was void of residents. That they weren't coming back. That they were long gone... perhaps the warden had found a new being that needed his protection whether they knew it or not. Yet the warden still knew that (Y/N) currently needed the help of the two miners, and that he shouldn't approach and risk scaring them off...

Albert and Peter kneeled down in front of (Y/N), checking their for wounds. Albert spoke up. "What's yer name, pal?" The warden became a bit curious, since he also hadn't heard what the (Y/S)'s name was. They shakily spoke up.

"M-my name is (Y/N), sir."

Albert nodded. "Nice to meet ya. Name's Albert, this 'ere' is my son Peter." The older man pat the younger one on the shoulder, who waved nervously. He seemed to not want to be too close to the darker parts of the caverns. A bat flew overhead causing Peter to scream. The warden's ear clicked in slight annoyance at the young man's scream.

"Calm down, it's just a bat." Albert said, nudging his son. "Then again, I reckon we don't stay down here too long. Don't know what could be lurkin' round these caverns. You need any help walkin', (Y/N)?"

"Y-yeah..." they responded quietly.
"Alright. Here, lemme help you up there, pal."
He offers (Y/N) his hand and helps them back on their feet. He allows the (Y/S) to hold onto him while the begin walking out of the cavern. The warden continued to watch from the darkness. For some reason, he felt a pang of... jealousy...? He didn't know why, but something about seeing (Y/N) lean on this stranger like they did the warden upset him a little. He tried to shake it off, but it still nagged at the back of his mind a bit...

Eventually, the three made it out of the cavern. The sun was starting to set by the time they made it out. A First-Aid station was set up nearby. A few of the other miners stared in confusion at Albert and Peter coming back with a mysterious (Y/S), but didn't say anything. An older lady greeted the trio at the front.

"Hey Honey. Who's this young (Y/S)?" she asked Albert, her voice calm and sweet.
"(Y/N), found 'em all alone in the caverns with some pretty nasty wounds and an arrow from a pillager. You think you can help, darling?"
"Of course." She turns to (Y/N), offering a hand. "It's nice to meet you, (Y/N). My name is Martha. I'm one of the first aid nurses here. You're lucky my husband and son found you when they did. Come with me, we'll get you fixed up..."

(A/N: Don't worry, we'll be seeing the warden again very soon. [Y/N] will hopefully be able to have an easier time cuddling without having an injury to worry about!)