Chapter 2

Jacks POV

I wake up to the sound of my little sister, Annabelle, barging through my room looking for her headphones. She is one of those kids who are emo and have a weird obsession with punk music.

I quickly quiff up my hair and put my khaki shorts, vans and OF tank top.

I go downstairs and have my usual. Waffles with bacon and orange juice. I suddenly jump from the noise of my best friend, Hailee Steinfeld, knocking at my door impatiently waiting me to get in her car so we can be on time for school. I smile and wave and she just stares and rolls her eyes. Ive always had a crush on Hailee, but she has never noticed. Whenever I try to flirt I guess she thinks I'm just being friendly.

I have average grades, a lot of friends and Im captain of our high school basketball team. Since it is the first day of school, Hailee wants to get there extra early so she can flirt with all the new guys that are coming in. She is probably one of the most popular girls in school. Im known to be her "hot best friend" but all I do is walk around the halls with Hailee and I feel as if Im being worshipped. I am not the dating type. Every single girl in school flirts with me and tries to ask me out but I always refuse. Anyways, the only girl I would go out with would be Hailee and nobody else.

We walk in to school and all eyes are on us. You'd think that we were some type of ultimate couple but no just best friends. Immediately Hailee scours the hall looking for new boys.

"I'll see you at lunch okay Jack?" Her eyes are already off me and on a new blonde headed boy down the hall.
"Yeah no problem, cya." I walk into my math class wishing it was me who had Hailee's attention

• • •

Hailee and I met after 4th period and made our way to the lunch hall. We sat down at out usual table with Aaron, JC, Jack J, Kenny, and Cameron.

Right away Cam asked, "Find any fresh meat Hailee?" He wiggled his eyebrows.

"Ugh no one worth mentioning." She
pouted and took a bite of her hamburger.

"Are you guys going to the beach with us tomorrow night?" Kenny asked us.

"Eh maybe." We said in sync. We've known each other since we were born and it's pretty obvious.

"Well you should" JJ said, "It's gonna be great."

"I don't know because by tomorrow I'll probably have a ton of homework already and I really don't want to ha--" She stopped mid sentence and stared in the direction of the caf door.

Across the room were two boys, probably twins. One started walking toward the lunch line but the other had a bagged lunch and was looking around.

Hailee got up and made her way over to him. Crap.

"Ha, called it" Cam mumbled as she went to introduce herself.

Soon they came over both smiling. "Guys this is Ethan Dolan. He and his brother, Grayson, just moved here!"

He smiled nervously at her in a way I didn't really like. They both sat down and now Ethan was sitting next to me and Hailee was on the other side. Okay then. Hailee started chatting about everything to Ethan. He seemed kind of overwhelmed but you could tell he was mesmerized by her.

This was my last year to finally show Hailee that we belonged together. Now he is gonna mess it all up.