Chapter 8.

Here's a fun fact for you all in case you need to hear it today.

If you have to get up at five thirty in the morning to get ready for school, maybe don't go to bed an hour past midnight the night before.

Trust me, you'll regret it.

Speaking from personal experience here.

I could simultaneously feel all of my muscles, bones and tendons shrieking in agony as I reached over and slapped the snooze button on my alarm clock. Opening my eyes was like prying apart two steel doors with my bare hands, and I felt like a demented grandpa with arthritis as I slowly stumbled out of bed and onto my feet.

I managed to make my way to my bathroom, practically tripping into the shower as I blasted myself with cold water in an effort to wake me up. By the time I was brushing my teeth and rubbing moisturizer on my face, I only felt a bit better.

I trudged my way out of my room and down the stairs, flicking on the lights to the kitchen. I spotted my mom's purse, haphazardly tossed onto one of the counters, meaning she had gotten home from work and was probably already snoozing upstairs.

Lucky bitch.

I flicked open my phone and sent a 'u up?' message to Eloise while I dug around in the freezer for the box of frozen waffles that were in there. I popped one into the toaster, rocking on my heels when I got a response.

It's too early for this shit. He responded back, along with a skull-faced emoji. I smiled lightly, telling him I'd see him soon, before tucking my phone away and shoving my luke-warm waffle into my mouth. I'd usually pair it with syrup and butter, but that would require an extra five steps over to the cabinet and fridge, and really, who had that kind of energy?

I was two more waffles deep when I heard a loud honking sound outside. A peek outside my driveway confirmed it was Eloise, making me quicken my pace to grab my backpack and glasses off my nightstand, lest he leave me behind.

Again.

Trust me. He's done it before.

I sprinted outside, hissing at the cold air that assaulted me, flinging myself into the warm safety of the car.

"Morning," I sighed out, buckling my seatbelt. "Thanks for picking me u- holy shit."

I stopped mid-sentence to stare at the unholy sight that was in front of me. Eloise looked.. Well, to put it plainly, like shit. He had dark circles under his eyes, his bleach-blonde hair, usually styled back and littered with glittery hair clips, was tousled and matted. And, most shockingly of all, his skin, when he turned towards me, was bare.

As in, no makeup.

Not even a little concealer to cover up his stray pimples.

"Morning." He croaked in response, sounding like he'd smoked six packs a day since he was seven. He threw the car into reverse, sending us both backwards and on our way towards school. I shoved my backpack down by my feet, watching as Eloise's eyes flickered in obvious exhaustion.

"The fuck happened to you? You look worse than I do."

"When I got home, I was going to go to bed.."

"And so you.. Went to bed?"

He sighed, ran a hand through his ragged hair.

"I doom scrolled on Tiktok for two hours."

"Now why would you do that?" I snorted, leaning back in my seat, closing my eyes. I let the warm air blasting from the car wrap around me like a blanket, lulling me ever so gently back to sleep.

"I don't know, man!" Eloise's voice had my eyes blinking open again. "I swear I just opened the app for five seconds, and the next thing I knew it was two thirty in the morning."

"Damn." I whistled, because I honestly couldn't make my tongue form any more complex words. I was scared it'd throw in the towel and jump out of my mouth like a leaping frog.

"And then," He continued, "I woke up like.. Thirty minutes later, maybe? And dude. I fucking shit out my fucking gu-"

"Oooookay!" I interjected loudly. "I don't need to know about that! Thanks!"

"I swear, sour candy and spicy chips do not mix." He talked over me as if I hadn't said anything, making me groan and slap my hands over my ears. "And I had waaaaay too much of it, too. I thought it was going to come out of both ends for a minute there."

Eloise decided to go on a rant about his horrid bowel movement of the night which went on for the entire drive to school, which I was forced to listen to.

I did briefly consider chucking myself out into oncoming traffic, but being the fuckwad he was, Eloise turned the child lock on before I had the chance.

God bestowed mercy down upon me by finally allowing us to roll into the school parking lot, Eloise taking his sweet-ass time to park and unlock the doors.