Chapter IX

Jeremias needed a break from his dating life after his chaotic evening with Tianna. That night had left him more rattled than he cared to admit. Upon returning to Kwame's place, he promptly blocked her number. He didn't want to rekindle anything or uncover what had really happened. He simply wanted to wash his hands of her and that night.

Today, Jeremias was back at work, tackling a few meetings to clear his schedule. He was reading through his emails when his phone rang, taking him by surprise.

"Hello," he said, pausing briefly. "This is Jeremias. Yes, I can be there in 20 minutes." He glanced at his watch, hung up the phone, grabbed his keys, and walked out of his office.

"Julia, hold all my calls for the evening, please," he instructed his assistant. She nodded as he entered the elevator.

Jeremias exited the building and got into his car. The drive to Lavish Landmark took exactly 20 minutes. Upon arriving, he made his way inside and onto an elevator, pressing the button for the 6th floor. The elevator stopped on the 3rd and 5th floors, quickly filling with people. Though not claustrophobic, he preferred not to be crammed into a small space with others, especially in an elevator that could potentially snap and plummet.

Finally, the elevator arrived at the 6th floor. Jeremias stepped out and approached the receptionist desk.

"Hi, I'm Jeremias. I'm here—"

"For Miss Glover. You can follow me," Kya interrupted, standing beside him. He turned his head towards her and didn't hesitate to follow.

Kya led him down a brightly lit hallway adorned with abstract art. The soft hum of air conditioning was the only sound accompanying their footsteps. Jeremias knew why this meeting was urgent: he had finally arranged to meet Kairi Glover, the young architect he had been in touch with for the surprise home he wanted to build for his parents. Today, they would discuss the initial designs and set the project into motion.

They reached a large wooden door with a polished silver nameplate: Kairi Glover, Architect. Kya knocked once before opening the door and gesturing for Jeremias to enter.

Inside, a beautiful woman with dark skin, brown eyes, and a confident demeanor sat behind a large glass desk. Her presence was commanding yet inviting, and Jeremias couldn't help but notice her beauty. Despite numerous emails and phone calls, they had never met in person until now. They had seen each other in passing at a few industry events and an outing with friends but had never spoken.

Kairi sat frozen in her seat as the 6'2" light honey complexion man she had seen at the Austin, Texas event stood there in front of her. She recognized the smooth waves that adorned his head, the luscious and voluptuous pink lips that graced his face, and the familiar hand tattoos.

She couldn't find the words to speak, almost as if a lump was stuck in her throat. Jeremias smiled at her speechlessness, equally stricken by her beauty. Kya took it upon herself to break the very noticeable tension between the two and cleared her throat, snapping Kairi out of her thoughts.

"Hi, I'm Kairi Glover. Nice to finally put a face to a name," she smiled, standing up.

"Likewise," Jeremias's husky and modulated voice responded, melting her more than his presence already had.

"Please, have a seat and let's discuss why you needed a meeting with me," she offered, gesturing to the chair across from her. Jeremias took a seat, adjusting himself with an air of casual confidence.

The atmosphere in the room shifted as they settled into their seats. Kairi took a deep breath, steadying herself. She couldn't let her flustered feelings interfere with the purpose of this meeting. She needed to maintain her professionalism, despite the undeniable attraction that simmered just beneath the surface.