Chapter 12

A roar rattled the walls, reverberating through the room as a hidden figure spoke from its concealed spot behind the crowded shelf of documents and books. The office was in disarray, as if a whirlwind had torn through, leaving chaos in its wake. Darkness from the ongoing storm outside seeped through the window, while flickering candlelight cast dancing shadows along the walls, which still shuddered from the disruptive noise that had pierced the air.

    "SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE WEAK!!!" The mans deep voice boomed like the thunder outside. "Explain to me why no one has deposited her at my feet."

    Two of the man's subjects knelt on one knee, their heads bowed as low as possible. Despite their trembling, when one of them spoke, their voice was even and strong.

    "Lord Kraven, the pack she has found refuge in is not easy to infiltrate. Their watch has no set routine, making it difficult to slip in undetected," his subject reported, their voice steady despite the fear evident in their posture.

    Silence filled the room before the same voice that had previously trembled the walls spoke again, this time with a calm and measured tone. "What of Keaton and Odalgar?"

    Silence.

    "One of you speak. Now."

    "They are dead, my Lord..." The second man, who had remained silent, spoke in a hushed tone.

    A low hum filled the room as the words were considered. The figure of the man emerged from behind the shelf, his presence commanding the flickering light to dance passionately. As his strong, sharp features came into view, his glowing red eyes intensified the flames against the surrounding darkness.

    "Seems I underestimated her again," he muttered, reaching up to rub his hair-dusted chin. "Should have dosed her more."

    He walked over to the desk in front of the window and gracefully took a seat. His pale skin glowed in the firelight as he leaned back, his long black hair tied at the base of his neck with a simple tie. He was the embodiment of elegance and propriety, yet a glint in his crystal blue eyes hinted at untold stories, secrets that would taint anyone who came in contact with them.

    "I'm growing weary of my cousin," he sighed out.

    "My Lord....if I must...is it absolutely necessary to bring her back. She has been gone for so long...and..." The mans voice drifted off into the unknown.

    Kraven stared at his subject. "Oh no...continue, please. How I would love to hear what you have to say about my dear cousin." He leaned forward, his intense gaze fixed on the man, daring him to speak.

    "I... I was..." The man's voice wavered, rising an octave or two as sweat began to bead on his forehead. He swallowed hard. "We have been doing well... without her. Maybe she isn't important?" he squeaked out, his fear palpable.

    Kraven hummed as he pretended to consider the man's words, then stood up. "So, let the woman who trained and organized all of you since you were turned go free? Allow her to take all the information she holds to a pack that could assume the worst about us?" His voice dripped with disdain, making the consequences clear.

    The man bowed low, avoiding his glare. "I only suggest since it has been so long since we have seen Lady Sonya...we assumed...."

    Kraven now loomed over the man, looking down at him.. "Ahhh, so just because you haven't seen her in the flesh, she holds no true value?" he questioned, his voice a dangerous whisper. He watched as the man remained as still as a statue, clearly afraid to move.

    "Allow me to make something clear," Kraven's low voice reverberated off the walls in a deep, commanding tone. "Sonya Cross is to be returned here for what she has done. I don't care if she is escorted here by our entire legion or her head is offered at my feet," he continued, each word dripping with authority and menace.