A Gift of Flowers

‘May 12’ Alastor thought sorrowfully. ‘Hard to believe it’s today.' Mother’s Day, if one had the misfortune of unable to be with one’s mother, or just forgetting due to a lack of a mother, had always made the pain of missing his own mother that much more.

In the past, when he was just a child, he had the day marked on the calendar he spent weeks saving for, counting down to the day as if it, was Christmas. When the day finally arrived, he would wake early in the morning, dressed in shorts and a dress shirt, that was two sizes too big for him. He would then carefully, so not to wake his mother, or anger his father, seek out of the house, rushing to Widow Abadie’s garden a mile up the road. Having made a deal of doing household chores for her, Widow Abadie would allow young Alastor to pick the brightest yellow tulips, to weave into a crown for his mother. He would also pick a mix of pink carnations and purple dahlias for a small bouquet.

Upon his return home, he would go to his parents’ bedroom, putting his ear to the door, his glasses become lopsided, as he listened for the key indicator, that his father was still asleep. The miffed snore, told him it was safe to enter.

His beautiful mother was out of bed, dressed in her favorite yellow dress, sat at her vanity, genteelly brushing her coco brown curls. She smiled brightly as her earthly brown eyes seemed to shine, when their eyes meet in the reflection of the mirror. She spun in her chair, putting her brush down, arms open wide for him. Oh how he loved climbing into her lap, on this day, placing the flower crown, he had woven onto her head. He would kiss her cheek, with a soft whisper “Joyeuse fête des mères, Maman”. His mother would smile, kissing his forehead, hugging her tightly to her chest, without crushing the bouquet. “Merci, ma chère” his mother would whisper back.

The two would sit together, hugging one another for just a bit longer, before his father’s alarm started ringing. His father would grumble, slamming his fist onto the clocks bells, silencing it. His mother, still hugging her to him, would pick him up and they would venture down to the kitchen. The two of them would cook together, enjoying the peace, before his father would unfortunately join them for breakfast.

Sighing at the memory, he concentrated back to the present. The monthly overlords meeting, seemed to be dragging on, and nobody seemed to noticed that he had daydreamed of the past. Good. Wouldn't to seem rude to Ms. Carmine.

Speaking of Carmilla, he took a look at her. He couldn’t help but be reminded of his mother, when he looked at her.

The strict nature she showed, if her children showed any disrespect towards anyone, beside the Vees of course, not that they often did. The gentleness she showed, when one of her children had fallen ill, tending to their needs, wither it be simple as their favorite tea, or calling off the meeting, to stay by their side. Her strong will to protect her daughters from all that dare to harm them. Now that he thought about it, Rosie also reminds him of his mother, when she cooked and gave advice to those who come into her Emporium. How she greeted everyone with a smile and an offer of warm food. Alastor smiled, a genuine smile as he watched the two mothers in the room with their children.

Miss. Odette, Miss. Clara and young Vaggie, had surrounded themselves by Carmilla. The four Carmines, and yes Vaggie is included, as her gift were adoption papers. Miss. Odette from what he overheard Vaggie telling Charlie, gifted Carmilla a new pencil kit, the pencils being big enough for her hands. Clara had designed and built twin angelic daggers. And he had over heard from Anthony (Angel Dust) that the girls had made training dummies from the Vees, making an extra one of Valentino. Alastor would have to remember to ask about getting a Vox training dummy for himself.

Charlie, Niffty, who said she wanted to come with as well, and Lara (my OC) were huddled around Rosie. Niffy had made her a lovely cockroach crown of her own, dubbing her the Cockroach Queen. Charlie had gotten her a rose gold picture frame, with a photograph of Rosie in the middle, Charlie to her left, Lara to her right and Niffy on her shoulders. Lara had designed a sunflower pin for her hat.
Feeling guilty that the two mothers were here instead of being at home, relaxing with their daughters, Alastor decided he would end the meeting himself, and continuing his Mother’s Day tradition once again. “Vox as much as your annoying presentation is, I believe its time to call this meeting over. After all I’m sure Ms. Carmine and Rosie would much rather be at home with their daughters then listening to your nonsense.” Before Vox could even continue, Alastor’s hands begun to glow green. He stood up, waving his hands, as he walked towards the door. Green mist flowed the room as yellow tulip crowns appeared on both mothers and their daughters, with bouquets of pink carnations and purple dahlias appeared in Rosie’s and Carmilla’s arms.

As Alastor reached the now opened door, he turned his head back smiling. “Happy Mother’s Day.” Alastor released a chuckle as Vox cried out “FFFFFUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKK!”