chapter 15

–Eikan– 

Upon arriving back home, Eiso and I both felt a bit drained. The past few days had been long and tiring, sleeping in the forest while watching the mysterious rock was not very comfortable. 

Sleeping in trees makes your muscles stiff and sleeping on the ground isn't very comfortable when you have insects biting at you or crawling into any orifice they can find.  

I shudder just thinking of what happened when I was still a kit.

As we entered our humble abode I noticed how the female's eyes sparkled in amazement at the sight of it. she looked around, seeming awestruck by the cave and our collection of resources and pelts. 

my chest swelled with pride and my tail flicked around happily behind me as I watched her. If she's already this impressed by what we have then surely we will have no trouble winning her over!

I set her down on our nest Eiso and I had created together. It was made up of the finest pelts and furs we had both hunted for over the years. We had grown accustomed to sleeping in the same nest since we were born and having two separate beds just didn't seem all that appealing when we could just combine our pelts into one giant one. It also helped us retain heat during the cold season.

The female admired our soft furs as she stroked her hands across the soft feline pelt she was sitting upon. 

as Eiso set down his stuff and grabbed some water. I crossed my arms watching the female's eyes wander all over the place before locking onto me. ‘I think she likes it.’ I mused.

‘Like what?’ Eiso questioned from across the cave.

‘our home! Did you see the way she looked around in awe? and she likes our nesta!’

Eiso did not seem to be convinced. ‘she probably hasn't seen a waterfall cave before, you and I had the same reaction when we first found this place. Besides, it doesn't matter… she's not our female.’

a strange gurgling sound resonated from the female's stomach as we both looked at her questioningly. she muttered something as she placed her hand over her stomach and looked up shyly. 

‘She is probably hungry.’ I glanced back at Eiso. ‘I'll go get some fruit,” he quickly left the cave, leaving me alone with our new guest. 

stepping forward, I plopped down on the nest beside the female, smiling as she eyed me with an arched brow. She then spoke some words in her strange language and I tilted my head, unable to understand her.

seeming somewhat frustrated with the lack of understanding she turned her head away. looking her over more closely I couldn't help but admire the rich color of her hair and how soft it looked. 

reaching out I stroked her mane, loving how it felt, slipping between my fingers like water. I had not expected females to be this…soft.

she spoke up again, turning to face me before putting her hand to her chest and repeating a singular word. “Nala”

I tilted my head curiously not understanding what she was hinting at as she repeated the word slowly. 

Not even a moment later I heard Eiso suddenly speak from the entrance of the cave, repeating the word she had spoken.

The female suddenly grew excited over hearing him speak, as he came over with a few fruits. ‘I think it's her name.’ Eiso glanced at me.

eyes widening I looked back at the female before sitting upright. reaching out I touched her chest and repeated her name as well, with a smile. “Nala!”