Moving Forward

Lan Zhan pulls into the garage, A'Yuan sitting in his brand new booster seat. He purses his lips, glancing at Wei Ying. Wei Ying has pulled his hair up into a twisted bun, a large clip holding it in place. A few loose hairs have fallen forward, framing his face. Lan Zhan looks at his long, slender, veiny neck and gulps down saliva. He wants to mark Wei Ying as his, forever.

"Lan Zhan? Something wrong?" Wei Ying asks, rubbing at his neck subconsciously.

"No. The van in the driveway? I have a gift being installed for A'Yuan. The rest of it will be delivered shortly." Lan Zhan says, finally beginning to exit the vehicle. He loads up his hands with shopping bags, Wei Ying getting A'Yuan from the backseat. "I'll come back for the rest."

"I can help. I might be on the thin side, but I'm not weak." Wei Ying pouts, Lan Zhan grinning and leaning in to kiss his cheek.

"I know that. Just, let me take care of you. Please." Lan Zhan says, Wei Ying sighing and nodding.

"Alright. So, what's this surprise?" Wei Ying asks, opening the door for him and heading inside behind him.

"It's being installed in, A'Yuan's room. He should have a room here, even if you don't stay." Lan Zhan says, a sharp pain in his chest at the thought of them both leaving. "Anyway, the guest room you're staying, will be his room." He heads upstairs, two workmen just exiting with a toolbox.

"Everything is set, sir. I left our company warranty and product information on the dresser." One man says, bowing slightly.

"Thank you very much. I included a tip in the payment." Lan Zhan says, passing the men.

"Thank you, sir. Have a great day." The man tugs his coworker along, the second man staring at Wei Ying.

"Wei Ying?" Lan Zhan wraps an around him and tugs him close. "Ugh, unfortunately I'm not the only one captivated by your beauty."

"Lan Zhan!" Wei Ying giggles and blushes, swatting Lan Zhan's arm.

"Come, let's checkout the first part of the surprise." Lan Zhan says, heading into what is now A'Yuan's room and placing the bags on the bed. "Hmm, looks cozy."

   To the left of the room is a large enclosure. There's a fluffy pet bed, a lining of shredded bedding covering the floor, and a set of bowls for food and water. Wei Ying turns to give Lan Zhan a skeptical look. A'Yuan is a bit confused by the setup, a small basket of pet toys beside the enclosure.

"Before you object, I'll be responsible. They will live in my home." Lan Zhan says, turning to head downstairs as the doorbell rings.

"Wait, they?" Wei Ying asks, hurrying after him with A'Yuan on his hip.

"Thank you." A woman says, taking a bill from Lan Zhan and handing him a large box. "Their care instructions and preferred diet are listed here." She places a packet onto the box.

"Thank you very much." Lan Zhan says, bowing before closing the door. He turns to see Wei Ying raising his brows. "You know, I've long wanted a pet anyway."

   Lan Zhan places the box on the table and opens it, beckoning Wei Ying closer with A'Yuan. Cuddled closely together inside, a black rabbit and a white rabbit. He reaches in, gently removing each. He places one into A'Yuan's arms and the boy sniffles, giggling as the little rabbit sniffs at his face.

"Bunnies! For me? For real, A'die?" A'Yuan asks, looking up from Lan Zhan to Wei Ying.

"You know, you're not playing fair here." Wei Ying smiles, his son happily cuddling the little black rabbit. He looks at Lan Zhan. "He won't want to leave now. You just might end up stuck with us."