The Beautiful Ones...Hurt You Every time

November 1991

Michael watched nervously while the room full of reporters, record executives, selected fans, family and friends, listened to Dangerous. Michael was never sure how people felt about his work. Were they kissing his ass, classified MJ haters, or genuine critics? As he sat in a secluded area of the club he was trying to gather what people were feeling. His sister Janet was on the dance floor dancing and mingling with people. Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis were making their rounds and Teddy Riley, his new producer was shaking hands and taking pictures. Michael briefly wondered what Lisa Marie was doing as I Can't Let Her Get Away played. The last time they spoke was two weeks ago and she sounded stressed. Parts of the conversation surfaced to Michael's consciousness.

"I feel stuck. All I can say. I feel stuck."

"Would you divorce him?"

"I don't know. I mean, it would look bad. With his position with the Church and my mother. I love him, but I am not in love with him. I want things to work because of our daughter, but the pressure is fucking ridiculous."

"What can I do to help?" 

Lisa Marie let out a half laugh half sigh. 

"Make me have a normal name and life."

"Is that what you really want?"

"I just want to be happy. Genuinely happy."

     "Mike! Mike!"

Michael snapped out of his thoughts and looked up at his sister who had a big smile on her face.

"Jan," Michael said happily.

"Yo, I love it! The album is funky!"

"I was called Smelly for a reason."

"I'm proud of you, brother."

Michael walked over and put his arm around Janet's shoulders.

"Thanks, sis."

"Question, who's this girl you like," Janet up at her  brother and smiled. Michael shrugged his shoulders.

"Who knows."

"You do. Do I know her?"

"I'm sure you do. I'll tell you  who when there's more to tell."

"She got the look huh?" Michael laughed and kissed his sister on the top of her head.

November 14th 1991

Like Millions of people around the world, Lisa Marie was in front of her television watching MTV with her mouth open watching her friend or partial friend's high anticipated Black or White video. She knew he was creative, but this was something completely different. The morphing the theme of the song...the theme. Lisa Marie sat back on the couch and let out a short breath. The song's message was about Michael dating any kind of woman. Lisa Marie wondered was it a secret message he was trying to convey to her? Lisa Marie watched Michael as he broke windows and grabbed his crotch a million times. She liked the song and video. The dances from different ethnic groups was her favorite part. He was a genius. She knew a genius. She knew another genius. Maybe she would call him in the coming weeks and congratulate him. 

December 1991

The success of Dangerous had Michael in a generous and cheerful mood. Everyone was feeling his album and he was once again the talk of the town. Whispers of another world tour were becoming louder by the hour. Michael hated touring. The time changes and the amount of energy it took out of him. The Bad tour almost killed him. Michael had been on the phone with John Singleton discussing an idea for a video at his Marvin's Room studio when an assistant interrupted his phone call.