O7 It's Time To Begin

"IT'S TIME TO BEGIN"

I woke up early on Sunday morning. My parents were downstairs having breakfast without me. At some point during my week of solitude, my dad stopped asking me to join them.

For what felt like hours, I stood at the top of the steps as I went over what to say to my mom. Peter wasn't there to soften her up and every scenario I played out in my head ended with yelling. It was impossible to talk to her when she was constantly in defense mood.

I almost turned back around and went to my room. But I wanted have meals with my family again. Even if we normally ignored each other as we sat the table. At least we were together.

Sucking down a deep breath, I headed down the stairs. My dad saw me first and nearly choked on his coffee. When my mom came over to slap him on the back to ease his coughing fit, she saw me and froze.

It'd only been a week since I really got a look at her. Lately she'd been just a blur walking past my room, or rushing off to work.

The three of us were at a standstill. My mom's hand still on my dad's back, my dad looking between the two of us. Every made up conversation I had as I stood on the stairs vanished from my head.

I silently slipped into my usual seat at the table. My mom left to go into the kitchen. A few minutes later, she set a bowl in front of me--oatmeal topped with raspberries and blue berries and chopped nuts.

She claimed her seat and started on her own oatmeal. There was still a lot if tension and words that definitely needed to be said, but at that moment we just enjoyed our family breakfast.

After we ate, my parents got ready to for their marriage counseling appointment. Before they left, I met them at the door.

"Um, is it okay if I go bowling today?"

My dad grabbed the car keys from the hook by the door. "I don't see why not." He glanced at my mom for confirmation.

She stared at me for a moment. "Don't stay out too late."

Her response honestly shocked me. And my dad. His surprise wore off quickly, turning into a supportive smile. I almost asked if that meant my grounding was lifted, but thought better of it.

"Okay," I said instead.

My dad gave me a hug, kissing my the top of my head. "See you later, kiddo."

As soon as their car pulled away, I ran up to my room to find an outfit. What did one wear on a date with her fake boyfriend to a bowling alley? After trying on everything in my closet, I settled on a pair of jeans and top with daisies printed on it. For my hair, I went for an half up/half down look.

When I finished, I checked myself out in the mirror. I immediately wanted to change. Was my top too cropped for a family thing? Were my jeans too tight to bowl in? Would Peter be as speechless as the other night when he sees me this?

"You're the yeah-est girl I've ever seen."

It was so cheesy, yet it lived rent free in my head. I had to send him an eviction notice immediately. I walked away from the mirror and put changing out of my mind. Because who cared if Peter thought I looked cute? I knew I look cute.