07 • THE SMALL COUNCIL

Lights protruded into the large room, casting shadows on the table as the most powerful men in the realm sat discussing matters of statecraft.

The council chamber was richly furnished. Myrish carpets covered the floor instead of rushes, and in one corner a hundred fabulous beasts cavorted in bright paints on a carved screen from the Summer Isles.

The walls were hung with tapestries from Norvos and Qohor and Lys, and a pair of Valyrian sphinxes and Targaryen tapestries flanked the door, eyes of polished garnet smoldering in black marble faces.

The King sat at the head of the table of the small council table, the sigil of the Targaryen embroidered in red, black with a little daint of gold thread on its pillows as well as the rest seats.

Enthroned, Maegor, is presently eating chocolate chip cookies while laughing at some joke. Whenever he had council meetings, the Queen always made sure his snack is available.

He is already 35, young and still the most handsome man in the realm, ruthless, sometimes cruel, aigle, strong, wise and intelligent.

As his brothers reign has passed peacefully, Maegor upholds the same legacy, although his expectations are high with stricts rules governing the Seven Kingdoms.

However his reign has brought nothing but peace and prosperity in the realm, and he means to keep it together, sane and not in shambles.

Seated at his right is his most trusted advisor, who has served two kings faithfully as Hand of the King. Ser Otto Hightower, a man in his mid 50s, strong, proud and haughty. He wears the brooch of his office with pride, he is an astute, a high functioning political creature in the realm and hopes to marry Charlotte and Alicent to the wealthiest men.

But on King Maegor's's left and across from the Hand of the King, sits a conspicuously empty seat. Daemon's seat, since he declined to anull Daemon's marriage, his brother has been avoiding him.

Beside the empty seat was seated Lord Lyonel Strong, a man in his early 50s, the Master of laws, a big man, stout, muscular, a burly and balding, Lord Strong enjoyed a formidable reputation as a battler. Those who did not know him oft took him for a brute, mistaking his silences and slowness of speech for stupidity.

He speak but does not miss anything, he once served late King Viserys and now he serves Maegor. Lord Lyonel had studied at the Citadel as a youth, earning six links of his chain before deciding that a maester’s life was not for him. He was literate and learned, his knowledge of the laws of the Seven Kingdoms exhaustive. Thrice-wed and thrice a widower, the Lord of Harrenhal brought one maiden daughter and two sons to court with him. Although he wished the King had married his daughter Hyacinth, else he won't be in this position of being fatherless for ten years.

Beside him was seated a man in his early 70s, the Grand Maester Mellos, His collar was no simple metal choker, but two dozen heavy chains wound together into a ponderous metal necklace that covered him from throat to breast.

The links were forged of every metal known to man: black iron and red gold, bright copper and dull lead, steel and tin and pale silver, brass and bronze and platinum. Garnets and amethysts and black pearls adorned the metal-work, and here and there an emerald or ruby and has served the realm for decades.

Next was the legendary knight of the Kings Guard. Lord Commander Ryam Redwyne.
he was once Hand of the King to King Jaehaerys, but he was bad politician, so Jaehaerys fired him to return to the King's Guard making his late son Baelon Targaryen Hand of the King before he passed.

Lord Ryam has been on the King's Guard for fifty years, The man is in mid 70s, he has served two kings, though he appears old and frail in his pure white raiment, as if he's wearing a larger man's clothes.