Prologue

Screams

Smoke

The smell of burnt flesh

Those were the only three things that filled Kazimierz Pietrek Hale's senses as she huddled in the corner of the basement. She was shaking and her ears were beginning to bleed. All that she could hear was the screams of agony that came from her pack as they burned.

The ten year old wasn't stupid. She knew that she was going to die in this basement. She was the only one who made it to the back room. Well, not the only one.

Her father laid on the ground in front of her, covered in burns that would never heal. Her father, Jeorek, was a human. He didn't have supernatural healing, senses, or strength, but he still managed to carry his little girl to the basement of the house before collapsing from the pain.

"Kazimierz, come here baby."

Kazimierz's head whipped toward where her father was. His voice was weak, quiet, and strained. The ten year old crawled toward her father, grabbing the burnt extended hand that he managed to move in a gesture to hold his hand.

Kazi looked at her fathers face closely. Half of it was burnt. She looked at the rest of his body and noticed that his entire body was burnt as well. She quickly took notice of his wheezing breaths and weak heartbeat.

"Piet, I know. that. I shouldn't. ask you. to do this. but I hurt. so. much." It took Jeorek many breaks to finish his sentence, but Kazi didn't need to hear her father speak any more to know what he was asking her to do.

Tears fell down her face as she moved her father into a position where she could hold him against her. She looked at him, trying to memorize the details of the untouched side of his face. Tears fell as she began humming the song her dad would always sing her and Cor before bed.

Her father closed his eyes, finding a moment of peace during a time of pain as he listened to his little girl. Tears fell onto his face, but he kept his eyes closed. He heard his daughter whispering to him a prayer that the pack said to all members as they passed on, before he felt nothing at all.

Kazimierz sobbed as she heard her father take his last breath and his heart its last beat. Her eyes that were glowing yellow moments before, were now an icy blue. She felt the change in her soul. Her now tainted soul, despite the kill being out of mercy.

Kazimierz held her father tightly. She stopped crying and sat in silence, staring at her fathers dead corpse. She moved him onto the floor and looked around the room, noticing a small window toward the ceiling of the room. She launched herself toward the window, breaking the glass and crawling through, cutting herself deeply in the process.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a woman standing near a tree looking at the fire with a smirk on her face and delight in her eyes.

It was a fucking Argent. Kazimierz knew what they smelled like. Her mother and godfather made her learn their smell. And this one in particular smelled not only of aconite, but like gasoline and smoke as well.