❁ 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝙼𝚎𝚎𝚝 '78 ❁

1978, New York City

1978,
New York City.

As Monica finished the last touches on one of the guests for today's show, a voice called out from behind her. "Monica, we need you back here," one of the crew members shouted, breaking the hum of activity on the set.

"Give me a second, I'm almost finished," she responded, focused on her task.

With a final adjustment, she stepped back and smiled at the guest. "Okay, Mr. Lee, we're all done here," she announced cheerfully.

"Thanks, sweetie, and happy holidays," Mr. Lee replied, his face warming with a kind smile.

"Thank you, sir. Happy holidays to you as well," Monica answered, returning his smile before hurrying back to where she was needed.

Today was the filming for the Sesame Street Christmas special. The set was alive with chatter and laughter, the air thick with the inviting aroma of snickerdoodle cookies and hot chocolate, provided as refreshments for the crew and cast.

Monica crossed the bustling set, weaving through clusters of people until she reached a group huddled around someone. They all turned to greet her as she arrived.

"Alright," she panted, trying to catch her breath, "what's going on?"

"Can you help us get Mr. Jackson ready? It's nothing much, we just..." a few of them exchanged uncertain glances, "don't want to mess up his... Afro."

Monica sighed nervously but nodded. "Okay, that's fine," she agreed.

She approached Michael Jackson, who was seated in a chair, struggling with his Afro. "Hi," Monica greeted him with a smile as she looked at his reflection in the mirror.

"Hi," Michael replied shyly, handing her the pick. Their fingers brushed momentarily, causing both of them to blush.

"You're really beautiful," Michael said, looking at Monica through the mirror.

Monica glanced up, meeting his gaze with a smile. "Thank you, that means a lot to me," she responded warmly.

Michael smiled back. "What's your name?" he asked, curiosity evident in his voice.

"Monica, Monica Nicole Wright," she answered, giving him her full name.

"It fits you-beautiful like you," he remarked, his compliment sincere.

"You're too sweet," Monica said, a slight blush coloring her cheeks. "I'm about finished. I don't want to take too long and make you late."

"Oh, it's okay," Michael assured her, turning slightly in the chair to face her directly. "I'm not needed for another thirty minutes." He paused, a hint of nervousness creeping into his expression. "Um, will you still be here after?"